PHP switch function help

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I am trying to create a search function for a directory website. On the search function on html page I have a dropdown menu. From this you can select one OF 3 options - shoes, handbags, shoes and handbags. I have a php process form page where it takes this infor before runninng a query in the sql database.

My question is that I would like the one option to have multiple values - when user clicks shoes, the query will search for a field containing shoes (this bit is fine) but also I want it to select another field to search for a value - this field will depend upon the what option the user picked in the question. The problem being, that unless i rename the fields in the table from lets say, Sbrand to Shoes and Hbrand to handbags i'm not sure how to action

What I need is that if value on option was shoe then I need it linked to pick from Sbrand Now I think that I can use a switch function but the current issue is that I must have it in the wrong place as when I tried it as per below code, it appears that the search is looking for a field called the option value so the switch is not working. Perhaps I need to move the switch function from the php process page to the html page but I’m not sure

Any help much appreciated

HTML code………… this works on a method=”get”

<select name="type">
<option value="none">-- Please Select --</option>
<option value="Shoes">Shoes</option>
<option value="Handbags">Handbags</option>
<option value="Shoes and Handbags">Shoes and Handbags</option>
</select>

Here’s the PHP code

$search_type=$db->escapeString($_GET['type']);
switch ($type){
case "Shoes":
echo "Sbrand";
break;
case "Handbags":
echo "Hbrand";
break;
case "Shoes and Handbags":
echo "SHbrand";
break;
}

$result=$db->query("SELECT Sbrand, Hbrand, SHbrand, SB, Retailer, Address, Town, County, Postcode, Postcode_code, Phone, Website FROM database WHERE SB LIKE 'type' AND $search_type LIKE '%$searchterm%'");

Any help much appreciated as i am new to this

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
308 Like 52 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

matching numbers inside ( )
I know I can match numbers by just [0-9]+, so I thought matching numbers inside ( ) would be somethi

Remore client postprocessing phase getting dump SAPSQL_ARRAY_INSERT_DUPREC
Hello Expects,I have started remore client copy. Data was copied successfully. but while running pos

LIMIT $start, 10... how to pass last value queried into next page with GET??
Ok I know how to display the first or last 10 results of a query...

$result = mysql_query(&q

Text to picture Generator
Hello, i have found this script and it works really good^^ But i have one problem, i would like to c

Warehouse Management
Hi,

On our system, we have two storage locations ( A and B ) where A is the main factory

Small problem with image resize script
Hi!

I am a little bit new to php and I have an issue installing an image resize script I down

order by date not ID number help php
I am trying to orginize the following code to order by date not id number.
any help would be grea

Multithreading in Oracle (Java, SQLJ, Pro*C,??) on 10g
I am investigating how to run a Java stored procedure in multithread mode.
I know that if I chang

simple script won't work. Please help
I'm new to php, and I am having trouble displaying a simple script in my web browser. My php code ex

output_buffering so rewrite
I'm planning to rewrite some of my scripts so they don't have to use output buffering to accomplish

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash