Confusing Functions


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

So, I've been reading up on Functions and I like them! However, I need some help using variables in functions, since it's kind of confusing.

I just made these functions:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
<?php

function Protect($var){
$var = mysql_real_escape_string(htmlentities(stripslashes($var)));
}

function Preserve($var){
$content = nl2br(str_replace(" ", "&nbsp;", $var));
}
?>


Neither of them work. Dunno why.

From what I understand...

If I do this:
function HelloThere($var){

Then when I use the function I can go...
HelloThere($hello);

And the $hello variable will be substituted for $var from when I defined the function. Am I not right, confusing, or misled? Please help!!!

Thanks.


PS I originally had this, but it didn't work:
<?php

function Protect($var){
$variable = $var;
$protect1 = mysql_real_escape_string($variable);
$protect2 = htmlentities($protect1);
$protect3 = stripslashes($protect2);
}

function Preserve($var){
$content = nl2br(str_replace(" ", "&nbsp;", $var));
}
?>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
199 Like 21 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Redirect not working after making a POST/GET
Hi Everyone,

I am a novice in PHP. Here I have 2 pages, one page with a textbox and button an

Registration
ok so i have a site where people can register and login which works now thanks to someone on here th

array help
Does anyone know how to require 10 text fields for individual grades and output class average? (10 p

WORDPRESS - Multiple Loops Only Going to One Post?
I have various pages with multiple loops and i need them to be individual to all other categories.

Calling strings from other php class
I have test1.php{
$string1;
$string2;
....
... //10 strings in this class <

is_dir() problem
Hello,

I'm buidling a php scripts that dynamically get's subfolders from a specific folder.

records between 2 dates
Hello all,

I have a date tracked table which contains effective_start_date and effective

Not loading image
When this function gets loaded it doesn't load the image just trying to figure out why.

Code:

Reading Most Recent CSV File in Directory
I thought I had wrapped this project up, but found out that the program I use to FTP a csv file to m

Check something, wait, check again, do something!
Hi guys.

I wonder if someone can help me with this.

Basically, what I want to do is (

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash