'210010106140040100' == '210010106140040101'


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Debugging this simple line of a PHP script

Code: if($a == $b){ }
I've found that with value of
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
$a = '210010106140040100' (type = string)
$b = '210010106140040101' (type = string)

the result of the comparison is TRUE

the same if i compare 2 integer

$a = 210010106140040100 (type = int)
$b = 210010106140040101 (type = int)

$a == $b ( true )

If I use the === operator

'210010106140040100' === '210010106140040101' (comparison of strings: result is FALSE)
210010106140040100 === 210010106140040101 (comparison of numbers: result is TRUE)

I think it could be caused by the fact that the string is 'like' integer, but exceed the standard size of integer number.
But the final result remain a mistery for me: I've tested some others 'big' numbers and I've found for example:

18014398509481980==18014398509481981 (true) !!!!
18014398509481982==18014398509481981 (false) !!!!

In my specific script i can handle this specific comparison using the === operator, because i can assume that the variable are string.

But i'd like to know why this happen, and i'd appreciate suggestions about how to efficiently compare 'big' integers.

Thanks!

I use PHP 5.2 with IIS
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
199 Like 53 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

using variables in another page
I have a test database set up on localhost. I have a form that I can type a name into, hit the butto

How to show next and prev records
Hi all,

Sorry if this is simple, i'm very new to php, well, any programming language actually

output printing as hexadecmal... XD
Everything works except the calcem call for the totusold and totuprice. The out put shows up as hex.

help with Get_
ok some how this is not working i am not sure what i am doing wrong here but what this does is when

List/Menu Box
On an edit page when you want something to select what a user has previously selected from the datab

printing links
Hi every1

i am connecting to a table in sql and the looping through with a while ($ var = my

Email Processor
I have a few questions so this post will be a larger one! Sorry, but I'm a bit of a PHP newbie so be

Got A Free Server :(
So I was given a free server

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Compaq%20ProLiant%201500%20Server:1

Socket Server
In my following socket server, I am trying to listen to a connection through port 12345 in my web br

Nested (echoed) php running wrong script
Got a problem with a php website I'm creating.

In a nutshell, the first page is entirely html

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash