IP Based Cron Jobs

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 by admin

I run cronjobs on my website. After one of my visitors got curious and tinkered around he realized he could reset my cron jobs...woohoo....

Is there a way to get information from the server to make sure it is who it is?

I have my idea below but I would like to know if there was another more secure way of doing this or if my way is fine. Since I also automaticly updating incoming CPA Leads and Paypal IPN the same way as my cronjobs. Paypal IPN does have to make sure there 'account balance' has money through Database so they can't just go throwing money at themselves..Luckily I had thought of that before the visitor went tinkering.

I basicly figured something like if i ran a cronjob and my server ip was 1.1.1.1 and the cronjob sent to http://site.com/cron.php?id=admin22113 coding would be as followed:

Code: [Select]$id=$_GET["id"];
$ip=@$REMOTE_ADDR;

if ($ip==1.1.1.1){
if ($id="admin22113"){

DoFunctions(CronJobs)

}
}

the $id(admin22113) I put as a secondary security measure. Say my own personal passcode to check if its there to say its me.

Only problem with this is my CPA Company IP changes and doesn't do "passcodes". I have to use Get functions to receive data through server so this is a little harder for a visitor to call. If there are any other possible ways please help me out.

Other forums