PHP mail() returns true but doesn't work


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

First off I apologize if this is a newbie question, and I generally don't like asking questions that have already been asked 1,000,000 times, but I've searched far and wide and cannot find a solution to my problem.

Basically I run an experimental server on my home network. I use LAMP (Ubuntu Server, Apache2.2, MySQL5, PHP5).

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I simply want to take the data from an HTML form and submit it as an e-mail. I tried using the mail() function like this:
Code: $email = $_POST['email'];
$message = $_POST['message'];
$subject = $_POST['subject'];

$sentmail = mail("example@gmail.com",$subject,$message,"FROM: ".$email."rn");
if($sentmail) {
echo 'Your message has been sent!';
} else {
echo 'Cannot send message.';
}

After some googling, I found one solution that said to add this line:
Code: ini_set("sendmail_from", "example@gmail.com");but it made no difference.

I finally decided to try a different approach using SMTP:
Code: require_once "Mail.php";

$from = "Form Data <".$_POST['email'].">";
$to = "My Name <example@gmail.com>";
$subject = $_POST['subject'];
$body = $_POST['message'];

$host = "ssl://smtp.gmail.com";
$port = "465";
$username = "foo@gmail.com";
$password = "bar";

$headers = array ('From' => $from,
'To' => $to,
'Subject' => $subject);
$smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',
array ('host' => $host,
'port' => $port,
'auth' => true,
'username' => $username,
'password' => $password));

$mail = $smtp->send($to, $headers, $body);

if (PEAR::isError($mail)) {
echo("<p>" . $mail->getMessage() . "</p>");
} else {
echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
}

Still not working!

This is quite frustrating. It always returns a value of "true" but never actually sends the messages!

Maybe it would help if I had a better understanding of what the mail() function actually does. Where does the message go when handled by mail()? Mustn't it go through a mail server at some point? Port 25 is iffy on my setup, so that could be the issue with mail().

When using the PEAR method though, I specifically indicate port 465, so that can't be the issue.

What am I missing here?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
314 Like 21 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

TimeZoneOffset
Hello,

Please i need your help. I have a system that users can use to punch in and out. This

Month String to Numeric?
Hi guys,

Given a month as a string, is there a simple way to find the numeric representation

need to add "sizes" to shopping cart
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out a way to add a "size" selector on to this bit of code.

Dump with added_funcion cl_salv_table
Hi there, I'm having some troubles adding a self defined function to an ALV in fullscreen. The thing

echo $rows help
Hi all,

Hopefully something simple that I don't know!

I have this:

Code: [Selec

does anyone know a php script to send mail using gmails/googles free smtp server
cause i heard u can do that but i dont know how

Removing Title From database problem
Hi again ! i am having an issue with updating database. When i update any price of a title it remove

Need help to identify this error please
:confused:Can anyone help me tell what this error message means? Maybe tell me where to look to fix

Serial number of exernal hard disk/Thumbdrive
Hi guys, I am new tio java networking concepts.Please tel me how to get Serial number of exernal

need help to creat database
Hello Team, please guys i am stuck from three days with paypal issue for IPN but no luck yet now i w

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash