Typedef struct vs just struct

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Anyone know the rationale for using typedef for structs when a struct is itself a typedef? I have seen this in just about every book I have ever read, never with any explanation, yet I know from extensive personal experience that the end result is exactly the same (at least on all compilers from the last 10 years). Is it nothing more than an effort to save typing 'struct' on the variable declarations (and that not even needed in C++)? For instance, this all seems to be the same:

Code: typedef struct { int i; } bob; struct nob { int i; }; bob b; struct nob n;

I have heard people adamantly argue that everything should be typdef-ed as a way to make maintenance easier, but in my experience when you change a data type you still need to examine every single place it is used in the entire code base to make sure you aren't creating bugs with the type change, so I don't see the maintenance benefit. I find it a lot more useful to know what an object type is without needing to constantly look up what the heck the typedef really is (of course, for structs that doesn't help). Good IDEs will make that process less painful, but I have found my ability to maintain code is actually decreased with the extensive use of typedefs.

So, any arguments for the use of typedefs?

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
337 Like 50 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

batch file not building to webapps folder
Hello. I just started running Vista :P and can't seem to get my projects deployed. I found out how

Sort Alternative/bi-monthly
Hi all,

Am going mad trying to get something to work.

I'm creating a CMS for a magazi

Random Number Generation And Probability
Hello, I am working on a function which has to insert data into a SQL table.

we have to suppl

How to find OS bit version
How can I tell the person browsing my site is running 32, or 64 bit operating system?

Strange array issue, never happened before.
mysql_fetch_array returns 1 array per call. Generally that's why it is inserted into a while statem

Empty text file when there is over XXXX lines of text.

define("RANDOM_FILE","/public_html/random.txt");
$randomEntry = "

function not returning the correct value
I have a program that needs to return a value from a function. I have an output statement inside the

how to read and write into a word document using php...?
hi,
I need,reading and writting into a word document using php.

Thank u inadva

gather checkbox data from form into email
Hello all,

First, i'd like to thank everyone who responded to my previous posts regarding set

Grids not displaying decimals, and behaving differently on different PCs?
Hello,

I coded a relatively simple MII application that allows data from a form to be add

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash