php + mysql count consecutive data


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have a database of values and I want to work out how to display them if the values match a consecutive pattern.

For example, I might have the table "eggs" with the values "1", "2", "3", "4", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10". Now if I were to count these up I'd have 9 total values, this is good. What I want to do is ONLY count the values where they have another 2 consecutive values after them. So for example if the above pattern is what I'm using and I want to check for 2 consecutive values, the following would happen:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
1 -> correct, it is followed by "2" and "3".
2 -> correct, it is followed by "3" and "4".
3 -> false, it is followed by "4" but no "5"
4 -> false, it is followed by "6", no"5".
6 -> correct, followed by "7" and "8".
7 -> correct, followed by "8" and "9".
8 -> correct, followed by "9" and "10".
9 -> false, followed by "10" but no "11".

and this would return the total of 7, because 7 of these values are followed by 2 consecutive numbers, therefore are correct.

So my question: How would I go about this? Would it be a matter of a single (albeit complex) mysql query or will I have to do some more advanced stuff after fetching the array? If it's the second I can do that myself, but I'd like to (hopefully) do it in a query!

So, any ideas?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
101 Like 14 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Creating XML with php
I need to creat an XML with php and have successfully produced a valid output.
The problem I hav

Auto install
Hi I have a directory lets say "apps" that I then have more folders ie "email",

Need help to modify php ELSE code
I'm trying to find a way to have the php code display a message if there is no inventory listed in t

single page with referrer to show correct page
I have a simple website with a couple of different pages. I would like to be able to in a div tag w

$_POST
Hi, I have 2 seperate php files, and i want my $_POSt["fname"] To go into both of them, Fo

Refining of search Criteria
Dear Friends

I need a help, I have a search page which of cars related, which has different s

WORDPRESS - Multiple Loops Only Going to One Post?
I have various pages with multiple loops and i need them to be individual to all other categories.

ereg_replace()
Basically what i need to do is

$title = "This Suck's"

$striped = ereg_repl

having a small php error tha deals with the 'foreach'
Last night i was working on a script for a cart and it seemed to working good, until this morning. F

Windows Authentication
I have a website which is windows authenticated.
now i want something more on this application.<

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash