Typedef struct vs just struct
Posted on
16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by
admin
Anyone know the rationale for using typedef for structs when a struct is itself a typedef? I have seen this in just about every book I have ever read, never with any explanation, yet I know from extensive personal experience that the end result is exactly the same (at least on all compilers from the last 10 years). Is it nothing more than an effort to save typing 'struct' on the variable declarations (and that not even needed in C++)? For instance, this all seems to be the same:
Code:
typedef struct {
int i;
} bob;
struct nob {
int i;
};
bob b;
struct nob n;
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I have heard people adamantly argue that everything should be typdef-ed as a way to make maintenance easier, but in my experience when you change a data type you still need to examine every single place it is used in the entire code base to make sure you aren't creating bugs with the type change, so I don't see the maintenance benefit. I find it a lot more useful to know what an object type is without needing to constantly look up what the heck the typedef really is (of course, for structs that doesn't help). Good IDEs will make that process less painful, but I have found my ability to maintain code is actually decreased with the extensive use of typedefs.
So, any arguments for the use of typedefs?
No comments posted yet
Your Answer:
Login to answer
337
50
Other forums
PHP login form help (Done Most of It)
Hi i am having a problem, when i try logging in it is always saying "Invalid Login" im not
How do I get the row number from from an sql table query
Hi all
I have a table that I query and it returns a number of rows.
mysql_num_rows($query)
Record count of entire database
Does anyone know if there is a way to obtain the number of records in each table of the database usi
Using system() and bringing back the results
I am aware that you can use system() within PHP to execute system commands, but I was wondering if t
PHP Array quick help
I need
$_SESSION{'username'} to be like this:
if $_SESSION['username'] = "gay
Turning Data into URLs?
This may seem very basic to you, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this since I don'
Target costs on Process orders not calculating
Hi All,
We have released standard costs for all the materials. We have also done Goods r
How can i use [] tags instead of <> tags for profiles??
On my site im making ive made it so u can register, login and u have a profile which u can update..<
Why do I get this error
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/a5488351/public_html/b
Problem with PHP code- simple contact form
Hi Folks,
I'm relativily new to PHP; I know HTML and CSS stuff but I have a problem- I have a co