Floating Point Precision Loss


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I'm writing a program to draw a three-dimensional cube (with a corner cut off) without using any 3D graphics APIs. The only API call I make is win32's SetPixel()

Everything is going great. I've drawn lines, faces, and even the entire cube. Then rotation came along.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
For some reason, when I rotate my cube, it begins to shrink. I became confused, then I realised something. Floating point numbers are truncated.

Here's some code that is fired everytime the user presses 'X' on the keyboard.

Code: p->setY( p->getY() * cos(5.0/180.0*PI) - p->getZ() * sin(5.0/180.0*PI)); p->setZ( p->getY() * sin(5.0/180.0*PI) + p->getZ() * cos(5.0/180.0*PI));

p is a Point object that I created. Here the Y value and the Z value of the Point are being set. The problem is everytime X is pressed, and this code is fired, a small amount of precision is lost. As a result, the cube shrinks.

I'm really completely stumped. I remember when studying assembler that floating point numbers can be truncated or rounded. I think rounding would solve my problem. Since 50% of the time the value would round up, and 50% of the time the value would round down.

Whereas with truncation values are always lost, and never gained.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
213 Like 53 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

CHECH A STRING FOR ' " ' (DOUBLE QUOTES)
I am checking for delimiter (.!?) and if there is a " after a sentence then it should neglect a

Pipe email to PHP - get mail adress from MySQL - send?
Hi all,

this is the challenge:

1) Our faculty at the college where I'm employed includ

setcookie and isset($_COOKIE(name)) seem very finnicky.
I'm currently playing around with a user system with login and registration. I'm trying to use cooki

SAP Treasury - Commodities
We are running SAP ECC 6.0 with Treasury Activated.
EA-FIN is also activated (SFW5).

Add 5 to a variable when a button is clicked, and re-run a for loop
So I'm making a feedback sort of section on a website with MySQL and PHP, I've gotten the script to

How do I create a 2D game "camera" to follow player?
In J2ME programming I'm targeting MIDP 2.0 devices.

I'm using gamecanvas and I was thinking t

php and downloading
I want to use a php script to create two files. Then I want it to redirect (or whatever) to have tho

php global variable
how can we create global variable so we can use its value in any form.. Please give example to

Referential Integrity problem when inserting into 2 tables at same time
Hello Everyone,

Im relativity new to PHP and MySQL and i have come up against a problem. i h

removing space from the end of a variable
i have a variable $image which contains the following url "http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/oo/P5/0m

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash