Undefined offset when using a flat file with pipe symbols

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I've got a flat file/text file which I'm currently using as a member database for my site (not advisable I know.. but still learning here).

In a section of code I need to separate the fields to make various checks later in the code

I use this line to do that..

list ($name, $pass, $fileidnumber) = split ('|', $line);

Yet.. I keep getting "undefined offset" messages.. even when all 3 fields are filled in for all records.. eg..
Fred|bonkers|3n

Is it the new line causing the problem?

Also, the server is a bit peculiar in behaviour, it won't let me upload empty text files to start with (0kb).. the only way around it is for me to add a blank line or something to make it at least 1kb so the server notices it.. so in other words.. if Fred's record was the only one in the database, there'd be a space (I guess) underneath his record (all future records are added to the top of the file, but the space will always come last when checking)

If anyone out there can help or give ideas as to why this is happening I'd be grateful.. thanks

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
190 Like 11 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Posting Serialized Data Not Working
I am trying to send an object from one PHP file to another using POST. I serialize the object and th

rand() function
just a general question guys a girls, is the rand() function 100% random or is it based on time?

How would I protect......
I have a from, actually, a good amount of forms. How can I make it so you can't type the characters:

PHP search multiple input field box help
I am having a problem with my search script. At current it will simply search by a selected date whi

Why use OOP?
Can someone explain to me why I should use OOP instead of procedure based code.

Im building a

insert/update functions for mysql, what do you think?
I am working on two really simple functions that automatically generate (and execute) insert and upd

Question handling xml data
Hello,

I have sucessfull followed this tutorial
http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/handlin

I would like "for" to wait 5 sec
I would like my 'for' loop to wait 5 sec before second iteration.

for ($i=0; $i<10

help connecting a form to php and then emailing the form
Ok. So, I made a form, and I need help to where when submitted, I get an email with the submitted de

IP question
ive got 2 ip addresses both global from same user how would i detect if they are local to each other

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash