Acid Attack Survivor among Bravery Award Winners


Posted on 19th Jan 2015 01:18 pm by mohit kumar

New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) A 16-year-old acid attack survivor is among the 24 children who would be conferred this year's National Bravery Award, it was announced Saturday.

Resham Fatma will receive the coveted 'Bharat Award' for showing exceptional gallantry while fighting off her tormentor.

"Eight girls and 16 boys have been selected for the National Bravery Awards for the year 2014," an official statement said. Four children are being given the award posthumously, it said.

The prestigious 'Geeta Chopra Award' has been conferred on Assam's Gunjan Sharma, 13, who displayed exemplary valour in saving her friends from the clutches of an abductor.

The 'Sanjay Chopra Award' has been given to Devesh Kumar, 16, of Uttar Pradesh for displaying outstanding courage while confronting two chain snatchers.

Rumoh Meto, 13, of Arunachal Pradesh, Late Riya Chaudhary, 15, of Uttar Pradesh and Late Monika, 16, of Uttarakhand have been given the 'Bapu Gaidhani Award'.

Meto saved a person from electrocution, Chaudhary sacrificed her life while trying to save her father when some miscreants attacked her family. Monika lost her life while trying to save a child from drowning.

The other recipients are Jitendra Marathe, Hiral Jitubhai Halpati and Late Gaurav Kumar Bharti (Gujarat), Sahanesh R. (Karnataka), Ashwini Bandu Ughade (Maharashtra), L. Brainson Singh and G. Tooldev Sharma (Manipur), Ripa Das (Tripura), Balram Dansena (Chhattisgarh), Rajdeep Das (Jharkhand), Anjith P, Master Aqil Mohammad NK and Midhun PP ( Kerala), Stevenson Lawriniang (Meghalaya), Late Mesak K. Remnalalnghaka (Mizoram), Mhonbeni Equng (Nagaland) and Labhanshu (Uttarakhand).

The selection was made by a committee comprising representatives of various ministries, departments, NGOs as well as office-bearers of the Indian Council for Child Welfare (ICCW).

The children will receive the awards from Prime Minister Narendra Modi Jan 24 at a special function and will participate in the Republic Day parade Jan 26. President Pranab Mukherjee and several other dignitaries will also host receptions in their honour.

The National Bravery Award Scheme was initiated by the ICCW to give due recognition to children who distinguish themselves by performing outstanding deeds of bravery and meritorious service and to inspire other children to emulate their examples.

It was in 1957 that two children - a boy and a girl - were first rewarded for their presence of mind and courage. Since then ICCW decided to confer national awards on children every year.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
0 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Lancet study on corona vaccine: 42 lakh deaths were prevented in one year in India, WHO claimed 47 lakh deaths in 2 years

The prestigious medical journal The Lancet has made a big claim regarding the deaths due to coron

AAP can be Trusted, but it is not Tested: Ajay Maken (Lead)

New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) Congress leader Ajay Maken, who was Tuesday named the party campaign c

Less than 200 infected were found everywhere except 7 states, for the third consecutive day when more patients were cured than new cases in the country.

In the last 24 hours, more than 400 cases have been reported in Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu,

Corona Updates: 11,738 cases in the country in the last 24 hours; 54 children found positive together in Navodaya Vidyalaya of Chhattisgarh

In the last 24 hours, 11,738 new cases of corona have been found in the country, while 29 people

IND vs SA Day 2 of the first Test: Play will start at 1 pm, 60% chance of rain; India- 208/8, Rahul-Siraj not out

The first Test between India and South Africa is being played in Centurion. The first day's play

Bihar CM calls on PM

New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) In what is being described as a "courtesy call", Bihar Chief Ministe

Pakistan Struggles To Meet Demand For Protective Gear As Cases Cross 4,000; Doctors Arrested For Protesting Against Shortage

चूंकि पाकिस्तान में कोरोनोवायरस के

Yogi Adityanath: Descendants of Aurangzeb are driving rickshaws in Kolkata, said CM Yogi – messing with culture is not tolerated

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath termed love jihad as a planned attack on Indian culture and warned

Vivo Y16 4G made a bang entry, great design and great features will blow your senses

Vivo Y16 4G Launch: Vivo has launched its latest budget smartphone Vivo Y16 4G in the Indian mark

Maharashtra Ex-deputy CM R. R. Patil 'Critical but Stable'

Mumbai, Feb 16 (IANS) The condition of former Maharashtra deputy chief minister and NCP leader

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash