Can Websites of App-based Taxis be blocked, HC asks Government


Posted on 21st Jan 2015 04:40 pm by mohit kumar

New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the city government whether websites of app-based taxis can be blocked, while hearing a PIL that alleged that despite their being banned these taxi services are still operating.

A division bench of Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice R.S. Endlaw asked city government standing counsel Zubeda Begum to file an affidavit stating the steps taken on implementing the order which banned web based taxi services and whether these websites can be blocked by it.

The bench said: "Why can't it (blocking the websites) be done? You (Delhi government) can block the sites. There is a wing of Delhi Police working on this."

"Government to take instruction whether they can block the websites of app-based taxis which have been banned by them. They also have to indicate the steps taken on imposing the ban and its implementation," it added.

The court asked the government to take instruction and file affidavit within four weeks and posted the matter for Feb 25.

During the hearing, Delhi government told the court that it has been taking action against cabs which were found operating despite the ban.

"We (government) have been acting on this. Last week we have impounded over 100 taxis," advocate Begum told the court.

The court was hearing a PIL filed by one Harkesh Gupta, who sought action against the companies who are violating the government order dated Jan 1 through which it banned app-based cabs here.

Following the alleged rape of a 27-year-old woman in the national capital by the driver of US-based cab service Uber, the transport department of the Delhi government Dec 8, 2014 banned the services of all app-based taxis. Jan 1 the government confirmed the ban on app-based taxis.

The plea said Uber has been complying with the ban imposed by the government but other cab companies like Ola Cabs, TaxiForSure etc were still plying in the city.

"The government and police have failed and neglected to enforce the ban despite being aware that these companies are not only flouting the ban but also the applicable provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act and other rules framed thereunder," the petition said.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
0 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Russia: Russia's big attack, said- Western countries destabilized the activities of G20, used against Russia

Russia on Sunday alleged that the G-20 finance ministers' meeting in Bengaluru ended without any

Kerala Human Sacrifice case: CPI(M) wakes up after sacrifice, advocates strict law against witchcraft

The ruling CPI(M) in Kerala has strongly condemned the sacrifice of two women. He demanded from h

G20 Summit 2023: Presiding over G20 summit is a big challenge before India: IMF Chief Economist

IMF Chief Economist Pierre-Olivier Gourinches said it would be difficult for India, which will ch

AAP win shattered myth of Modi's invincibility: Yogendra Yadav

New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) AAP ideologue Yogendra Yadav said the party's landslide win has shatte

Turkey's fashion brand Koton arrives in India

New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) Indian men can now jazz up their wardrobe with Turkish brand Koton&rsqu

Plane Crash: Two planes collided in the air in California, USA, many feared dead

Several people are reported to have died in a collision between two planes in California, USA. Ac

Lucknow News: First Namaz then FIR and now Hanuman Chalisa threat... Know how LuLu Mall is in controversy

A case has been registered against those who offer Namaz at Lulu Mall in Sushant Golf City. The p

Himachal to host conference of public service commissions

Shimla, March 5 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HPPSC) will host a three

Congress Party: There is a possibility of uproar outside the Congress Working Committee meeting; what will be the protest?

For the first time as a political party, the Congress Working Committee is meeting in Patna. This

Congress fields Narayan Rane for Bandra East bypoll

Mumbai, March 22 (IANS) Senior Congress leader and former Maharashtra chief minister Narayan Ra

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash