Clarke to retire from ODIs after World Cup


Posted on 28th Mar 2015 05:12 pm by mohit kumar

Melbourne, March 28 (IANS) Australia skipper Michael Clarke on Saturday announced that he will quit One-Day Internationals (ODI) after the cricket World Cup final against New Zealand here on Sunday.

"It's the right time for me and the Australian cricket team. I was very fortunate four years ago to get the opportunity to captain this great team and that was really good preparation for me leading up to this World Cup,” Clarke said at the pre-match press conference.

The final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) would be Clarke's 245th and final ODI. The 33-year-old said he is not confident his body will allow him to be in peak condition for the 2019 edition.

The right-hand batsman wants his successor to have a full four-year period to mould the team ahead of the next mega event, just as he has had following Ricky Ponting's resignation four years ago after the team's quarterfinal elimination in India.

“The next Australian captain deserves this opportunity. I don't think it's realistic that I'll be fit and healthy and available to play the next World Cup. I believe it's the right time," Clarke said.

Clarke made his ODI debut against England at Adelaide on January 19, 2003. Thereon he played 244 ODIs, scoring 7,907 runs at an average of 44.42. The New South Wales player did not consider Sunday's match to be any more significant because of his decision.

"It's a special game, there's no doubt about it, but it needs to be about the team and I want it to be about the team. It's not emotion, it's skill that helps you win major games and tournaments and Sunday will be no different. It's no more special because it's my last game," he said.

The captain, who has struggled for continuity in ODIs due to injury, reiterated his priority was to remain a key player for Australia in Test cricket for as long as possible.

"I'm hopeful that it will prolong my Test career as well. That's obviously a priority for me, to be successful in Tests and by walking away from ODIs, it probably gives me my best opportunity," he said.

The departing captain had only disclosed his intentions to his family earlier. He informed Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland, chief selector Rod Marsh, coach Darren Lehmann and his teammates minutes before making the announcement public on Saturday.

Clarke said it had been 'an honour and a privilege' to lead Australia in one-day cricket. He declined to suggest a successor but acknowledged that Steve Smith, who stood in for Clarke as Test captain this summer and for one ODI, had produced some key performances batting at No.3.

Besides Smith, the other candidate for captaincy is likely to be George Bailey, Clarke's vice-captain for this World Cup. Bailey led Australia in the opening match of the tournament but was squeezed out after Clarke's return from his hamstring injury for the pool match against New Zealand.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
0 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Vijay Deverakonda: 'I am not single'; Vijay confessed his relationship for the first time, there are dating rumours with Rashmika

South Industry's well-known actor Vijay Deverakonda is once again in the headlines for his person

Who's hand in increasing the hijab controversy: Advocates associated with Congress are advocating the Muslim side in court, this was revealed in Bhaskar's investigation

Senior advocate Devdutt Kamat is in discussion in the Hijab controversy. He is fighting the case

Big accident: debris of SpaceX rocket fell in the field, launched on March 4

Last month, the SpaceX rocket, abandoned from the US, succumbed to the accident. A large part of

US seeks allies' support for possible China sanctions over Ukraine war: report

The United States may talk further on the subject to close allies about the possibility of imposi

The real story of KGF: The people of Kolar used to dig out gold by hand, the British were stunned to see; 900 tonnes of gold extracted in 121 years

'Salaam Rocky Bhai' will once again resonate in theaters from today. Kannada director Prashanth N

Covid-19 Vaccine: US President Donald Trump claims corona vaccine to be ready by year-end

Washington DC,. Deadly corona virus started in China has caused the most devastation in America.

Raju Srivastava's brain is not responding: Doctors said - just the support of prayers; Wife said - Raju is a fighter, will win the fight

Comedian Raju Srivastava's condition remains very critical. He is being treated continuously for

Suspicious car found near Ambani's house was stolen, owner also identified, Mumbai police told the whole case

The police are now looking into solving the mystery of the suspect Scorpio meeting outside the ho

Yogi Adityanath: Gyanvapi Case CM Yogi said – If it is called a mosque then there will be a dispute, Trishul-Jyotirlinga and God statues inside

CM Yogi Adityanath On Gyanvapi Case Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has given a blunt answer on th

Monsoon Tracker: Rain in Mumbai for the third day, water-logged in low-lying areas; Monsoon reached Madhya Pradesh 7 days ago

Monsoon has reached Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat after raining in many districts of Maharashtra inc

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash