Will the government be able to handle Delhi-NCR pollution between Corona?


Posted on 24th Oct 2020 03:51 pm by rohit kumar

The pollution level in Delhi-NCR air has increased again this year. According to the data of 36 monitoring stations in Delhi, the quality of air has reached the 'severely poor' category.

 

It is possible that by the time you are reading this story, the air quality has become worse.

 

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

But this situation is not only for Delhi. Air quality is deteriorating all over North India.

 

At the beginning of winter, the temperature has dropped and the wind speed has decreased. Along with this, the situation is getting worse due to the burning of straw in the surrounding areas.

 

Sunita Narayan, an environmentalist and member of NCR's Environmental Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority, says, "There is a lot of cold ahead. I am very scared this year. With the Covid-19, it could be a double whammy because the virus is our Attack the lungs in the same way as air pollution. That's why we need to take effective steps. "

 

She says that due to the epidemic, the people of the government machinery are busy with different tasks, so this time the challenge is much greater.

 

She says, "Our pollution control boards in Delhi, Haryana, UP, Punjab or Rajasthan are very weak, they have very limited staff, so they have very little capacity. We need to empower these institutions. CSE (Center For Science and Environment) highlighted this a few years ago. We are rethinking the subject and trying to talk to governments. "

 

Will stubble burn be reduced?

 

The data presented by the EPCA before the Supreme Court suggests that between October and December, 60 percent of the total level of PM-2.5 in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) may be due to stale smoke.

 

Last year, more than 61,000 cases of stubble burning were reported in the fields of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana.

 

With recorded examples, the condition of 2019 was worse than in earlier years.

 

What will happen in 2020?

According to Narayan, "It depends on whether the starch is burnt or not. Earlier it was said that farmers have no option. But now there are machines which instead of burning, left after harvesting in the field Can remove part of the crop. "

 

"But will farmers use them? Do farmers know about this? And are the governments in the states trying to make the farmers aware?"

 

"If stubble burning does not happen or is less than before, we will see a decline in pollution. But the second aspect to evaluate is whether the state governments are implementing the rules on the ground."

 

"The third aspect is wind - which is also the biggest reason in away. If there is no rain this winter and the wind does not move then we will face breathing difficulties." However, Narayan says that governments are serious about this issue.

 

On the ground strategy

 

Based on the directions of the Supreme Court and the roadmap prepared by the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare talks about the 'two-pronged' approach.

 

According to the EPCA report (No. 117) which was submitted on 30 September, "Farmers have to provide machines that help in removing the remaining stub. Also, farmers should be given the right price for the stubble."

 

"States have already purchased stubble management machines (around 80,000 between Punjab, Haryana, and UP) and set up Custom Hiring Centers (CHCs). The targets are set to ensure implementation this season. It's objective in the long run. There is a need to diversify the crops, so that the farmers move away from the non-basmati paddy, due to which the problem of burning of straw is increased. "

 

However, incidents of fire in the field have also come to light this year.

 

On October 16, the Supreme Court-appointed former Supreme Court judge MB Lokur as a one-man monitoring committee.

 

Chief Justice of India SA Bobde said, "People should get clean air to breathe in Delhi and NCR"

 

Lockdown found air purifier but

 

The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) report titled 'Air Quality of Lockdown (March 25 to April 15, 2020)' states that "Overall, a 46% reduction in PM-2.5 and 50 in PM-10 % Reduction was observed. Since 81% of Delhi's nitrous oxide comes from the transport sector, it has decreased with the ban on vehicular activity. "

 

But Narayan says that 'lockdown' or lockdown cannot be a solution.

 

She says, "We are speeding up the fight against pollution. Major decisions like the closure of thermal plants have already been taken. Highways are being constructed for trucks around Delhi and new fuels are also being brought. Are. "

 

"These reforms will come in small steps, but if there is a will for a comprehensive change, to generate electricity, coal has to stop burning and there will be electricity using natural gas.

 

"If this happens, we will immediately see a change in the wind."

 

But why is this not happening?

 

Says Narayan, "We are talking to the central government. The industry uses cheaper things. If natural gas is brought under GST and prices are low, the availability of gas in this area will increase."

 

India is the world's largest emitter of sulfur dioxide.

 

On October 8, Greenpeace reported that "In 2019, India emitted 21% of the global man-made sulfur dioxide emissions which is twice that of Russia. Russia ranks second on this list."

 

Laurie is a principal analyst at the University of the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA), which has also analyzed Greenpeace data.

 

"Unfortunately, the governments of some of the countries at the top of the list, such as India, Mexico and South Africa, delayed to comply with emission regulations," he said.

 

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), sulfur dioxide can harm the human respiratory system and cause breathing difficulties.

 

People with asthma, especially children, will be affected. PM 2.5 and PM 10 penetrate deep into the lungs.

 

Narayan says that "the power plants are not meeting the standards. The Supreme Court is aware and has decided that all rules will have to be followed by 2022. Power plants want more time but we are opposing it because The right to breathe must remain intact. "

1 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Hemkunt Foundation set up a 500-bed temporary covid care center

Gurugram Covid patients are not getting beds in private and government hospitals. Family members

Russia-Ukraine War Updates: Russia's warning - US should not send advanced rocket systems to Ukraine, 100 Ukrainian soldiers die every day in the war

98 days have passed since the Russia-Ukraine war. Meanwhile, Russia has warned about military aid

Delhi Air Pollution: Delhi's air quality deteriorates again, AQI crosses 300, 401 in Jahangirpuri; breathing difficult

Delhi's air quality once again slipped into the "very poor" category. Friday morning began with h

President Droupadi Murmu: President Murmu inaugurated the warship INS Vindhyagiri, the strength of the Navy will increase

President Droupadi Murmu on Thursday inaugurated the modern warship INS Vindhyagiri (P17A). Presi

After the CJI, another judge was attacked with a shoe; the court gave its verdict on the attacker.

Recently, a man threw a shoe at CJI BR Gavai in the Supreme Court. This incident sparked a new de

India bans Pakistan's OTT platform, first episode was released on the Mumbai attack anniversary

The central government has banned Pakistan's OTT platform Vidli TV after streaming of anti-India

IPL 2022: Sunil Gavaskar tells Hardik Pandya to be an automatic pick for T20 World Cup, but make no mistake

IPL 2022 has gotten off to a great start. Many senior and young players have managed to grab the

Bomb Threat: 20 schools in Delhi received bomb threats early in the morning, and a fire brigade and police team were on the spot

Schools and colleges in Delhi are receiving bomb threats every day. Officials said that more than

Rahul Gandhi: The High Court justified the lower court's decision, knowing what it said while upholding Rahul's sentence

The Gujarat High Court upheld the conviction of Rahul Gandhi. Justice Hemant Prachhak dismissed R

Target Killing: Satyapal Malik said - terrorists could not enter the 50-100 km range during my tenure

Meghalaya Governor Satya Pal Malik has given a big statement on the continuing terrorist attacks

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash