Passing variables with pagination - iterating through unique id per link


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi everyone,
I have seen a few topics like this one. Still cant find the specific thing, so I am asking - does anyone know this?

I am trying to combine a mysql query with this code I found at php-mysql-tutorial.com.
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

Essentially this is the rub. The pages are working fine, but I am flumoxxed as to how to apply the $imgid to a page (viewing one image per page).

The imgid are in numerical order but do not begin at one, and there may be gaps - eg img 3, 5, 7,8 ,9 and 10 on a 6 page pagination.
I can pass the $page variable because it is a simple increment iteration, but how do I apply the changing $imgid value? so that pp1 has an imgid of 3 passed, pp2 is 5, pp3 is 7 etc. I expect it is something to do with combining a query and an array and applying it, but I'm having a brain-strain at that point.

Gratefully, here is my code stripped of excess ( I hope).

<?php

// back button depending on which gallery is parent
if(!isset($_REQUEST['random'])) {

$file= "gallery";

$varid = 0;
} else {
$file= "random";
$varid = 1;
}

echo "<fieldset><div id="back_but"><a href="gallery.php?blog=$file"> <br /></a></div>";

$url = "blog=picture&pics=picdetail&";

// how many rows to show per page
$rowsPerPage = 1;

// by default we show first page
$pageNum = 1;

// if $_GET['page'] defined, use it as page number
if(isset($_GET['page']))
{
$pageNum = $_GET['page'];
}

// counting the offset
$offset = ($pageNum - 1) * $rowsPerPage;


$query = "SELECT imgid, title, year, description, thumburl, imgurl, medium, style, clientname FROM images LEFT JOIN mediums ON images.mediumid = mediums.mediumid LEFT JOIN imgstyle ON images.styleid = imgstyle.styleid LEFT JOIN clients ON images.clientid = clients.clientid WHERE imgid = $imgid".
" LIMIT $offset, $rowsPerPage";

echo $query;
$result = mysql_query($query);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{
$imgid = $row['imgid'];
$title = $row['title'];
$year = $row['year'];
$description = $row['description'];
$thumburl = $row['thumburl'];
$medium = $row['medium'];
$style = $row['style'];
$client = $row['clientname'];
}
?>

<fieldset><?php

// how many rows we have in database
$query = "SELECT COUNT(imgid) AS numrows FROM images WHERE tarot = $varid";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die('Error, query failed');
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC);
$numrows = $row['numrows'];

// how many pages we have when using paging?
$maxPage = ceil($numrows/$rowsPerPage);

// print the link to access each page
$self = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
$nav = '';

for($page = 1; $page <= $maxPage; $page++)
{
if ($page == $pageNum)
{
$nav .= " $page "; // no need to create a link to current page
}
else
{

$nav .= " <a href="$self?$url&page=$page">$page</a> ";
}
}

// creating previous and next link
// plus the link to go straight to
// the first and last page

if ($pageNum > 1)
{
$page = $pageNum - 1;
$prev = " <a href="$self?$url&page=$page">[Prev]</a> ";

$first = " <a href="$self?$url&page=1">[First Page]</a> ";
}
else
{
$prev = '&nbsp;'; // we're on page one, don't print previous link
$first = '&nbsp;'; // nor the first page link
}

if ($pageNum < $maxPage)
{
$page = $pageNum + 1;
$next = " <a href="$self?$url&page=$page">[Next]</a> ";

$last = " <a href="$self?$url&page=$maxPage">[Last Page]</a> ";
}
else
{
$next = '&nbsp;'; // we're on the last page, don't print next link
$last = '&nbsp;'; // nor the last page link
}

// print the navigation link
echo $first . $prev . $nav . $next . $last;



?></fieldset>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
184 Like 30 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

problems with php variables in mysql query
i can't seem to get the following query to work.

select $q1c from $vote_rate where id = $re

How can you detect variable string in a massive string?
Ok guys, i need some help with this one.

I am going to be getting a large string, like 10-20

using file_get_contents??
okay how would i create a script using file_get_contents() in php have it grab search pages 1-20 and

Form help: Syntax & Logic
Hello again all,

I'm working on a form and ran into a wall (again) and can't seem to think th

disabling a button server-side then re-enabling client-side breaks button postback
I have a tabbed container and a button (not in the container) on a page. If the first tab is selecte

form class help (oop php5)
Hidy Ho Neighbors,

I'm forcing myself to learn oop/classes for php5. It seems like a good id

Echoing a Variable from a Object
How do I get a variable from the new User Class to echo out in this clasS?

class MyApp
{

Problem Dereferencing
With these types and tables:

CREATE TYPE MANAGER AS OBJECT (
MGR_ID INTEGER,

Help, Base64 encoding url and decoding server side.
Hello everyone, i have a website with videos and games and also provide an embed code which people c

Performance impact of cookies
Hi, I was just wondering what impact there would be in terms of performance if you where to set then

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash