Regular expression tips or resources


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello! I'm having some issues implementing the appropriate regex patter to eliminate unwanted characters from a string.

Here is a sample string:
Code: String str = "test-hello. me please3, _dog[ -()"; What I need to do is create a regex that will take out all non word characters except for spaces AND strings of type "test-hello" - in other words any string that has word or digit characters followed by a "-" (hyphen) followed by more word or digit characters - this is what is giving me trouble.
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

What I have right now which is perfect except for the "test-hello" type strings is:
Code: Pattern replace = Pattern.compile("([^\w ])");Matcher matcher = replace.matcher(str);str = matcher.replaceAll(""); The above code removes all non word or digit characters except for spaces but it will obviously still remove the "-" in "test-hello".

I'm not looking for the whole answer of course but any tips or resources I can be pointed to would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with the regex syntax in Java as I am in say PHP.

Thank you!
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
84 Like 39 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

text box alphanumeric caracters only
hi all!

I have search on google on how to enter in a test box only caracters A-Z,a-z,0-9 usi

HeaderSelectedCssClass not working
I have an accordian where I have a drop down list in the first pane and a grid in the second pane.

Simpler method of getting variables from mysql
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to streamline my CMS's code and as I was writing a new page it occured to

Big Problem!! Please help
Hi Guys,

Im making a website for a friend have encountered a really annoying problem. When ev

how do I show what a user have selected from a checkbox?
From my code below, how would i show which check boxes have been checked and which radio buttons sel

Server side $_SESSION
how does one keep the session completely server side. no cookies to the browser at all. i need this

retrieving more than one max key from an array?
so i have an array of 20 numerical values (0-100) that i need to order from highest to lowest and th

FTP Programs
Here is a list of commonly suggested FTP Programs to use:

FileZilla
SmartFTP
CuteFTP

Help with page encoding issue and weird characters
I'm trying to write a screen scraper and when I pull out the lines of the html file that I'm interes

Any help with my email script?
I have an email script, I have not tested it, although someone tested it for me and said it worked f

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash