Regular expression tips or resources

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello! I'm having some issues implementing the appropriate regex patter to eliminate unwanted characters from a string.

Here is a sample string:
Code: String str = "test-hello. me please3, _dog[ -()"; What I need to do is create a regex that will take out all non word characters except for spaces AND strings of type "test-hello" - in other words any string that has word or digit characters followed by a "-" (hyphen) followed by more word or digit characters - this is what is giving me trouble.

What I have right now which is perfect except for the "test-hello" type strings is:
Code: Pattern replace = Pattern.compile("([^\w ])");Matcher matcher = replace.matcher(str);str = matcher.replaceAll(""); The above code removes all non word or digit characters except for spaces but it will obviously still remove the "-" in "test-hello".

I'm not looking for the whole answer of course but any tips or resources I can be pointed to would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with the regex syntax in Java as I am in say PHP.

Thank you!

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
84 Like 39 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

storing video files into mysql in php
hi

i have my video files in my folder ,
i have to store the path of the videos into db an

temporary objects
Until now i thought every temporary object in C++ is created as constant. I'm wondering why my compi

Setting a default timezone?
I have read about how to change the timezone in PHPMYADMIN, but it changes back, it doesn't STAY the

Grouping and sorting results
Please help with this query.

I have 2 tables in a database, countires and cities. states look

Problem with coding MySQL query
I'm having heaps of trouble getting one of my PHP/MySQL queries to work for some reason (and the fun

NOOB needs help with upload file
The intent of this form is to create a folder for a client and upload an image into another folder '

Using cURL to PUT
Can somebody help with the correct php code to make a cURL PUT request. Here is a sample of code bel

Run function every 5 mins ??
I have a function PostMessage()

How can I run it every 5 mins ??

PHP Display Telephone Number On Referrer
I have used the php below to show a different telephone number in the header of the site depending u

Displaying returned XML in another PHP page
I have an online payment form that will return XML given if a payment is successful or declines. I

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash