disabling a button server-side then re-enabling client-side breaks button postback
Posted on
16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by
admin
I have a tabbed container and a button (not in the container) on a page. If the first tab is selected, I want the button enabled. If the second is selected, I want the button disabled. I have created this functionaliity, but I have encountered some odd behavior.
Switching tabs is handled client-side, and therefore, when the tabs are switched, I use something like the following to enable/disable the button client-side based on which tab is selected:view plaincopy to clipboardprint?var saveButton = document.getElementById("<%= btnSave.ClientID %>") if (saveButton) { saveButton.disabled=false; if mytab=="Tab2") { saveButton.disabled=true; } } var saveButton = document.getElementById("<%= btnSave.ClientID %>")
if (saveButton) {
saveButton.disabled=false;
if mytab=="Tab2") {
saveButton.disabled=true;
}
}view plaincopy to clipboardprint? view plaincopy to clipboardprint?This works great but the first problem I run into is, if a control on the second tab (the button is disalbed when this tab is selected) causes a postback, then after the postback the button's state is returned to enabled. This sort of makes sense since the page lifecycle, at this point, knows nothing about what the button state should be. I decided the solution to this would be to check what the current tab is during page load, and if it is the second tab, set the button enabled property to false. In this way, when a postback occurs on the second tab, the button remains disabled. Well, this works to a charm, but I encountered a bizzare side-effect. This works great but the first problem I run into is, if a control on the second tab (the button is disalbed when this tab is selected) causes a postback, then after the postback the button's state is returned to enabled. This sort of makes sense since the page lifecycle, at this point, knows nothing about what the button state should be. I decided the solution to this would be to check what the current tab is during page load, and if it is the second tab, set the button enabled property to false. In this way, when a postback occurs on the second tab, the button remains disabled. Well, this works to a charm, but I encountered a bizzare side-effect.view plaincopy to clipboardprint? view plaincopy to clipboardprint?On the second tab, a postback is caused. The button remains disabled as it should be. I then swith tabs. The client-side code goes into effect and the button client-side disabled property is set to false. However the strange thing is, now the button doesn't work. Clicking on it does not cause a postback and doesn't really do anything. It seems that setting the button enabled property to false and then true server-side, somehow doesn't jive with setting it's disabled property to false on the client. On the second tab, a postback is caused. The button remains disabled as it should be. I then swith tabs. The client-side code goes into effect and the button client-side disabled property is set to false. However the strange thing is, now the button doesn't work. Clicking on it does not cause a postback and doesn't really do anything. It seems that setting the button enabled property to false and then true server-side, somehow doesn't jive with setting it's disabled property to false on the client.view plaincopy to clipboardprint? view plaincopy to clipboardprint?anyone have an idea what is going on?
Your Answer:
Login to answer
96
11
Other forums
Warning: mysql_num_rows() supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
This may be simple I just may need another pair of eyes..
When i get records back the below c
Find occurences of unicode characters in string
I need to prohibit filenames with everything but English characters and numbers but regexp and strin
Help with form post data and arrays
Hi all,
I am new to this forum... It has been awhile since i have worked with arrays, and i a
How do I replace any number of character occurences with one occurrence?
How do I replace any number of character occurences with one occurrence?
Let's say I have:
Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1
When i add quote at the end of this link
example:http://localhost/articlemania/category.php?cid=3
IF STATEMENT HELP
Hi
i have created a calendar from a table:
Code: Calendar: October 2009
<table w
Why use interfaces in PHP (OOP)
I am learning OOP in PHP and its been a pretty good learning experience so far. What I didn't unders
Change snippet to use CURDATE
I am using time() in the snippet below, I would like to use CURDATE() and have the database setup fo
script is pulling more then they have....
I have this script for my game where they can change there race. This will cost them 2,500 points. H
Displaying Multidimensional Arrays...about to put my head in a vice, PLEASE HELP
I am fairly new to PHP and MySQL and I have a problem which I have been trying to resolve for days.