Undefined Variable: PHP_SELF, pls help


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi,

Im a newbie on PHP / MySQL programming and Im running a script to search one field on my DB table. The results will show after I key in my search word but there's an error below that says: Undefined variable: PHP_SELF in C:wampwwwITInventoryApplicationITInventoryfilesSearchSerial.php on line 105. Also the link to the next page is not clickable.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
When I change to $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] I get:
Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING'.

Pls help me... thanks.

_________________________________________________ __________

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<?php

// Get the search variable from URL

$var = @$_GET['q'] ;
$trimmed = trim($var); //trim whitespace from the stored variable

// rows to return
$limit=10;

// check for an empty string and display a message.
if ($trimmed == "")
{
echo "<p>Please enter a search...</p>";
exit;
}

// check for a search parameter
if (!isset($var))
{
echo "<p>We dont seem to have a search parameter!</p>";
exit;
}

//connect to your database ** EDIT REQUIRED HERE **
mysql_connect("localhost","root",""); //(host, username, password)

//specify database ** EDIT REQUIRED HERE **
mysql_select_db("itinventory") or die("Unable to select database"); //select which database we're using

// Build SQL Query
$query = "select * from assetsdb where SerialNo like "%$trimmed%"
order by SerialNo"; // EDIT HERE and specify your table and field names for the SQL query

$numresults=mysql_query($query);
$numrows=mysql_num_rows($numresults);

// If we have no results, offer a google search as an alternative

if ($numrows == 0)
{
echo "<h4>Results</h4>";
echo "<p>Sorry, your search: &quot;" . $trimmed . "&quot; returned zero results</p>";

// google
echo "<p><a href="http://www.google.com/search?q="
. $trimmed . "" target="_blank" title="Look up
" . $trimmed . " on Google">Click here</a> to try the
search on google</p>";
}

// next determine if s has been passed to script, if not use 0
if (empty($s)) {
$s=0;
}

// get results
$query .= " limit $s,$limit";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die("Couldn't execute query");

// display what the person searched for
echo "<p>You searched for: &quot;" . $var . "&quot;</p>";

// begin to show results set
echo "Results";
$count = 1 + $s ;

// now you can display the results returned
while ($row= mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
$title = $row["SerialNo"];

echo "$count.)&nbsp;$title" ;
$count++ ;
}

$currPage = (($s/$limit) + 1);

//break before paging
echo "<br />";

// next we need to do the links to other results
if ($s>=1) { // bypass PREV link if s is 0
$prevs=($s-$limit);
print "&nbsp;<a href="$PHP_SELF?s=$prevs&q=$var">&lt;&lt;
Prev 10</a>&nbsp&nbsp;";
}

// calculate number of pages needing links
$pages=intval($numrows/$limit);

// $pages now contains int of pages needed unless there is a remainder from division

if ($numrows%$limit) {
// has remainder so add one page
$pages++;
}

// check to see if last page
if (!((($s+$limit)/$limit)==$pages) && $pages!=1) {

// not last page so give NEXT link
$news=$s+$limit;

echo "&nbsp;<a href="$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?s=$news&q=$var">Next 10 &gt;&gt;</a>";
}

$a = $s + ($limit) ;
if ($a > $numrows) { $a = $numrows ; }
$b = $s + 1 ;
echo "<p>Showing results $b to $a of $numrows</p>";

?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
252 Like 5 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

SWF image using php?
Hello once again.

My latest en devour requires me to produce an image of a static .swf that i

How to write on database when a link is clicked?
Hi, I have a list of products in a gridview. When the link is clicked currently it takes to an ext

PHP Thumbnail Creation
Ok so i use this function to create thumbnails:

Code: [Select]function createthumb($name,$fil

How do I use ValidatorCallout extender in Login control?
Hi,I'd like to customize the look and feel of the login control a little bit. One thing I'd love to

Hotlinking Picasa as the image folder of a website
Hi there PHP freaks, I would like to create a private album in Picasa to use it as the image folder

Help with search.php
Hello All

I need the search engine on a site I am building at the moment to display the searc

help with mysql_error()
Hi,

I am trying to insert data into a table, but I am not able to insert it. I wanted to see

Else statement screws up all css
Does anyone know what goes wrong in the process with this php code?
This code seems to be causing

PHP onsubmit in the form not going to the fuction.
I have a form through ‘onsubmit’ calling a function validation(). But not going to the

Filtering an Array Based on Value
I have a very simple script set up that pulls data from a database and is output using this code:

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash