Breather for Chandy as court stays controversial references


Posted on 1st Apr 2014 03:52 pm by admin

Kochi, April 1 (IANS) Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Tuesday got a breather after a Kerala High Court division bench stayed two controversial references by a single division bench against him last week.

On March 28, a division bench of the high court headed by Justice Haroon Rashid, ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into an alleged land deal involving Salim Raj, a former gunman of Chandy.

The court also said the chief minister was duty bound to explain to the people why he did not apply his mind when selecting his personal staff.

The opposition Left has gone hammer and tongs against Chandy, demanding that he resign.

On Monday, advocate general K.P. Dandapani, representing the government, filed an appeal in the division bench of Justice K.M. Joseph.

On Tuesday morning, the division bench heard Dandapani who said it was most unfortunate that the single bench made this adverse remark, without even hearing Chandy.

In the afternoon, the division bench stayed these two references but added that the CBI probe should go on. Incidentally it was Chandy himself who had asked that the alleged land deal involving his former gunman be handed over to the CBI.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
288 Like 34 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Former SC judge Vineet Saran appointed Ethics Officer of BCCI, Lokpal

Former Supreme Court judge Vineet Saran has been appointed as the ethics officer and ombudsman of

Haryana Election: Congress gets another big blow, Jaspal Antil leaves the party; 'Even sold land but did not get a ticket'

The Haryana Election 2024 Congress has suffered a second consecutive setback in the Rai constitue

Now Taliban is using Islam for its agenda, this order given to Imams

After taking over Afghanistan, the Taliban has now started using Islam for its purpose. The Talib

Haryana to probe Gurgaon ex-chief engineer's assets

Gurgaon, March 27 (IANS) Haryana's vigilance department has ordered a probe into former chief e

Covid-19: Amid increasing cases in China, Adar Poonawala said – the situation is worrying, follow the rules

Increasing corona infection in many countries of the world including China has raised the concern

BJP Uttarakhand Manifesto: From love jihad to cow progeny, know the key promises

BJP released its manifesto for Uttarakhand on Wednesday. In the manifesto issued in the name of D

T20 World Cup 2026: 'He was angry... I apologized', big revelation by world champion captain Suryakumar Yadav

Indian cricket team captain Suryakumar Yadav admitted that dropping Axar Patel in the Super 8 mat

3 Days Weekend: Employees will work four days a week in this country, this special facility will be available under the new labor law

After UAE, now in another country, employees will have to work only for four days. Yes, according

Bad Boys for Life among Upcoming earned 31 billion worldwide, to be released soon on Home Entertainment

Hollywood desk. The sequel to the action comedy film Bad Boys is going to release digitally on Ma

Uttarakhand: Big relief to the government from the High Court, now an unlimited number of pilgrims will be able to travel to Chardham

The Uttarakhand government has got a big relief from the Nainital High Court regarding the number

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash