Kerala Graft Case: BJP Calls for Shutdown, Left to Boycott Mani


Posted on 24th Jan 2015 02:53 pm by mohit kumar

Thiruvananthapuram/Thrissur, Jan 22 (IANS) The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Kerala Thursday called for a state-wide shutdown Tuesday demanding resignation of state Finance Minister K.M. Mani over a bribery allegation while the Left parties decided to boycott him.

While deciding to boycott all official functions of the beleaguered minister, the Left Democratic Front (LDF) also decided to stage a march Feb 3 to the state secretariat to press for Mani's resignation.

With this, the entire opposition in Kerala has decided to mount pressure with protests against Mani after whistle-blower bar owner Biju Ramesh alleged in October last year that Rs.1 crore was given to Mani as the first instalment of the Rs.5 crore he had demanded for reopening bars in the state.

State BJP president V. Muraleedharan told reporters in the state capital after a party meet that the tainted Mani, facing allegations of corruption, will have to go.

"Apart from the bar graft allegations, he has made money by even manipulating the state budget. There is no way he can be allowed to continue. And, to protest, we will be organising a statewide shutdown on Tuesday," said Muraleedharan.

At Thrissur, the LDF leaders' meet decided to boycott all official functions being participated in by Mani.

"We will be marching towards the state secretariat on Feb 3. He has no place to go but to resign. We will not retract until he quits," LDF convenor Vaikom Viswan told reporters in Thrissur.

CPI-M politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said if Mani is going to present the state budget (March 13), the Kerala assembly will witness never-seen-before incidents.

But state Congress president V.M. Sudheeran said Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has made it very clear that Mani will be presenting the state budget and there is not going to be any change in that.

Early this week, Ramesh gave an audio recording of the conversation to the various TV channels that has since been aired.

On Thursday, he turned up before the vigilance department to give his statement.

"Ever since I started giving out evidence in the bar graft case, my life is in danger and I am writing to the chief minister that I be given police security. I will go forward in this issue and will see that the truth comes out," said Ramesh.

0 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Russia-Ukraine war: Putin's army fired missiles at shopping malls; Russia missed the deadline for payment of foreign debt

It has been more than 4 months since the Russia-Ukraine war. The attacks are still on. Before the

Sonu Sood: Sonu Sood got into trouble for riding a bike without a helmet in Spiti, police started an investigation

Sonu Sood, who was praised for his noble deeds during Covid-19, is now facing criticism due to th

Himachal Election: Congress high command leaves for Shimla, called MLAs to one place, preparing to send them to Chhattisgarh

In Himachal Pradesh, the high command has started formulating the next strategy as the initial tr

What really caused the train disaster in UP?

Lucknow, March 24 (IANS) Over three days after a train disaster left 38 people dead in Uttar Pr

Telugu news presenter, son killed in road accident

Hyderabad, Feb 8 (IANS) A news reader of a Telugu news channel and his son were killed and thre

Make style statement with mask against pollution, swine flu

New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Here comes a mask that not only protects you from air pollution and swi

After the Ladakh violence, Sonam Wangchuk, who is lodged in Jodhpur jail, sent a message to the people. Know what he said?

Ladakh environmentalist Sonam Wangchuk, who was arrested after the violent protests in Leh on Sep

Unlock 5.0 set to open Cinemahall from next month; Know how the experience of watching a film is going to change

Movie theaters across the country have been closed since 23 March. Unlock 4.0 guidelines expire o

Lakshya Sen: The first match was canceled but she did not accept defeat, now by reaching the semi-finals she has raised hopes of a medal in the Olympics

India's young shuttler Lakshya Sen reached the men's singles semi-finals on Friday. He has become

The operator of the Danish Pakistani Ghazwa-e-Hind model of Patna: Preparations for 2023 jihad were going on since 2016; Intelligence agencies did not realize

The model of Ghazwa-e-Hind was prepared for terror in India. Its command was in the hands of Paki

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash