New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday asked the city government to respond to a plea filed by the AAP challenging the move of removing the party's posters from houses of people willing to put them up.
The court said police and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi be restrained from removing posters from houses under the garb of the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property (DPDP) Act.
The plea by the Aam Aadmi Party sought direction for police not to remove election campaign material from the homes of willing Delhi residents.
A division bench of Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice R.S. Endlaw questioned what will happen if there were posters on every house.
"The purpose of the DPDP Act is when you walk on streets, the view should be good. What will happen if there is a poster on every house?" the court asked advocate Prashant Bhushan who appeared for the petitioner.
Bhushan told the court that banning people from putting posters would be denial of the right to freedom of speech.
"This move is denial of the right to freedom of speech and expression of the citizen and the restriction should be set aside immediately as election is around the corner," he argued.
The bench, however, questioned how the right to freedom of speech was being violated.
"The posters or banners are for the purpose of others to see not for yourself. So how your freedom of speech and expression is being violated?" the court asked.
On Oct 17, 2013, the Election Commission in its reply to petitioners had said "putting up of banners/posters at homes of volunteers/supporters on private property is prohibited under the DPDP Act".
Monsoon rains have wreaked havoc in many states of North India. Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, and Himac
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's mother Heeraben passed away at the age of 100. After this, many le
The US has officially started imposing tariffs on dozens of countries, including India. At the sa
Voting is going to be held on April 17 for the fifth phase of the West Bengal assembly elections.
What information has the government given on PM Cares Fund and why questions are being raised
The matter is in March of the year 2020 when due to the wave of coronavirus, restrictions started
Nubia has launched Red Magic 9 Pro in China only last month. After China, this phone has now been
The fact that several big and experienced names went unsold in the IPL 2026 mini-auction came as
Hope China visit will have concrete outcomes: Modi
New Delhi, March 24 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed hope that his upco
Trade unions and farmers' organizations across the country have called for a nationwide strike to
Corona has been causing serious health risks globally for more than three years, with new variant