PHP search multiple input field box help


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I am having a problem with my search script. At current it will simply search by a selected date which is a java based calendar that displays when using id='datedisplay' in the input form field below. What I want it to do is have an extra input text field box that can search for text/words within a table field. So my query would be something like Line number On/Off | Expand/ContractSELECT * FROM tbl_comments WHERE comments_date LIKE '%$search%' OR comments_content LIKE '%$textsearch%' ORDER BY comments_date DESC, comments_time DESC But now it gets tricky. I want it to work so if someone types something into the text input box, it will ignore the other input box that searches by date. And if the text input search box is empty, it will ignore the text input box and search only by the date input box.

I am assuming it's going to involve some if statements and posssible !empty and }else{ commands, I am just not 100% sure how to piece what I want together within my search code below.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
Here is my form code:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract echo "<form method='post' action='handover_index.php'>"; echo "<input type='text' name='search' id='datedisplay' style='width: 60px;' maxlength='10'> "; echo "<input type='hidden' name='cmd' value='search' />"; echo " <input type='Submit' name='submit' value='Go!'>"; echo "</form>";

And here is my php code:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract // ##### Search DB ##### Start ->$str = str_replace("n", "<BR />", $str);if (strlen($_POST["search"]) > 1 or strlen($_GET["search"]) > 1){if(isset($_POST["search"])) $search=$_POST["search"];if(isset($_GET["search"])) $search=$_GET["search"]; $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tbl_comments WHERE comments_date LIKE '%$search%' ORDER BY comments_date DESC, comments_time DESC"); echo "<table width='98%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='3' border='0'>"; $i = 0;while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result)){ $comments_id=$r["comments_id"]; $comments_date=$r["comments_date"]; $comments_time=$r["comments_time"]; $comments_user=$r["comments_user"]; $comments_content=str_replace("rn","
",$r[comments_content]); $comments_updateuser=$r["comments_updateuser"]; $comments_updatedate=$r["comments_updatedate"]; $comments_updatetime=$r["comments_updatetime"]; list($thour, $tmin, $tsec) = explode(':', $comments_time); list($uthour, $utmin, $utsec) = explode(':', $comments_updatetime); if ($_GET[cmd]== "edit" and $_GET[comments_id] == $comments_id) { $comments_content=str_replace("
","rn",$r[comments_content]); echo "<tr>"; echo "<form action='handover_index.php' method='post'>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='375'><font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date</font> <font class='rowadded'>at</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_time</font> <font class='rowadded'>by</font> $comments_user</td>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><input type=submit name=submit value=Update><input type=hidden name=comments_id value=$comments_id></div></td>"; echo "<tr></tr>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' colspan='2' width='100%'><textarea name=comments_content cols='10' rows='5'>$comments_content</textarea>

</td>"; echo "</form>"; echo "</tr>"; }else{ if($i%2 == 0){ echo "<tr class='rowresult1'>"; echo "<td class='txt' valign='top' width='375'> <font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date $thour:$tmin</font> - $comments_user"; if (!empty($comments_updateuser)) { echo "<font size='2' color='#000000'> / </font> <font class='rowadded'> Updated</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_updatedate $uthour:$utmin</font> - " .$comments_updateuser. ""; } echo "</td>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><INPUT TYPE='button' name='edit' value='Edit' onClick=self.location='handover_index.php?cmd=edit&comments_id=$comments_id&search=$search'></div></td>"; echo "</tr><tr class='rowresult1'>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' colspan='2' valign='top' width='100%'>$comments_content

"; echo "</td></tr>"; $i++; }else{ echo "<tr class='rowresult2'>"; echo "<td class='txt' valign='top' width='375'> <font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date $thour:$tmin</font> - $comments_user"; if (!empty($comments_updateuser)) { echo "<font size='2' color='#000000'> / </font> <font class='rowadded'> Updated</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_updatedate $uthour:$utmin</font> - " .$comments_updateuser. ""; } echo "</td>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><INPUT TYPE='button' name='edit' value='Edit' onClick=self.location='handover_index.php?cmd=edit&comments_id=$comments_id&search=$search'></div></td>"; echo "</tr><tr class='rowresult2'>"; echo "<td class='rowtxt' colspan='2' valign='top' width='100%'>$comments_content

"; echo "</td></tr>"; $i++; } } }echo "</table>";echo "
";}else{// ##### Search DB ##### End <-
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
92 Like 6 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Beginner PHP code help
Hi I'm new to php but if someone could please read the question below and help it would be great.

Transport data between itab and textfield on ALV event
Hallo,

I have a ALV Grid ( cl_gui_alv_grid ) and I also have hotspot click event with a h

filesize problem
i use ubuntu 9.10 and i have mountet a folder from an windows

/mount/FOLDER
/mount/FOLDER/

imap: how to save a copy of sent emails to sent elements
Hello my friends,

I am writing an online emailing application with inbox outbox/sent elements

how can we add data from dynamic fields to mysql db in php
i have a script which i found on the internet. i modify that script according to my needs. what is i

"GROUP BY" in arrays
Well i'm looking to do something i usually could do easily using COUNT and GROUP BY if it was a sql

Request for tunning the below query
Hi,

Can any one help me on the below query while improving the performance,

Where am I going wrong
Been trying to work this out for hours

I have two tables called 'Genres' and 'Films'. Genre

How do I give a developer access to a specific directory and nothing else?
I want to give a develop access to a specific directory and nothing else

I can give them an F

breaking a text file into paragraphs based on strings
I have a text file of email addresses that is all squished together. It looks like this:

abc

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash