Preserving user-entered linebreaks

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I'm building a web 2.0 thingy from scratch and I wanna display text which users input. It's all good so far, except that all the linebreaks are destroyed, so no matter how carefully they insert whitespace, their input gets displayed as one big block of text.

The data is submitted (method="post") through a textarea. The mysql_real_escape version is stored in mysql. Then it's read from the database (no unescaping necessary) and passed through htmlentities before being printed into the body of the webpage.

I tried replacing htmlentities with the following function:

Line number On/Off | Expand/Contractfunction brentities($x){ $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","nr",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","rn",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","n",$x); $x = htmlentities($x); $x = str_replace("<pre>n</pre>","[LINEBREAK]",$x); return $x;}

But this doesn't seem to work. I also tried setting "white-space: pre;" in the CSS for the appropriate div, but that caused the text to bleed outside the div (and even outside the screen), so no go

What's the best way to settle this issue?

Thanks

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
53 Like 35 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Check premium expire
Hi,

I am making a simple file hosting site and want to check if users premium subscriptions h

System copy error in RUN ABAP REPORT PHASE
Hi,
I am performing system copy on my test server. I have previously taken export of JAVA + A

small inaccuracies
I have this code to convert fractional base 10 into base 2:

while($num > 0)

why isn't this PHP code working ???
it's suppose to find a name on the database.

<?php

$s = $_POST["lname&

* Gridview and Detailsview in UpdatePanel, insert mode problem
I have a GridView and DetailsView working together. When a record from Gridview is selected, Detail

reating a background image
I am building a site in drupal and have a php form in it, due to certain annoyances with module buil

Sales orders ans reservations not taken into account on MPS / MRP
Hello,

I am implementing the MPS / MRP and I have the following problem:

I ha

Read from forum
Haven't written anything forever and I would like to get back.
What I'm trying to do is getting t

Character Set Setup
Whats the best character set to use if you want every character to work, and also how do you make yo

Amend code to allow multiple attachments
Hi

I have a php page that allows the user to browse to a file (image) then sumbit, the confi

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash