Secure pages Sessions vs. Cookies & session_destroy() help


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Im new here and new to PHP, I hope you can help me with some questions.

Im writing my web app, and i have login screen where user enters his username and passoword, then I check im MySQL database is it ok, and if its ok and user exists, I send him to protected pages, i have 3 protected pages that only registred users can acess.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
Now the problem is I dont know should I use Sessions or Cookies to check if user is loged in? Cookies are cool and simple but I dont know how to encrypt them so anyone can see them. What is the best method to encrypt cookie?

And with Sessions I joust cant destroy session with session_destroy();

Here is the code of secure pages, and logout.php

Secure page (there are 3 of them but they are all the same as this one):
Code: <?php
session_start();

$username = $_SESSION['username'];
$password = $_SESSION['password'];

include 'database_connect.php';

$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' AND password='$password'";
$sql = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$count = mysql_num_rows($sql);

if ($count !== 1) { header("location: login-fail.php"); }

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>PHP generated</title>
</head>

<body>

<?php echo $username . " <p>welcome to Content Manager</p>" ?>
<a href="admin-site-manager.php">Site Manager</a>
<a href="admin-account-manager.php">Account Manager</a>
<br/>
<a href="logout.php">Logout</a>

</body>

</html>
And this is logout.php

Code: <?php
session_start();
session_destroy();
header("location: index.php");
?>
So my questions are:

1. Whats wrong with this script, it works great, but logout is not working, when i click logout, it sends me to index.php, but if I enter URL of "secured" page it show me that page and tells me Im loged in :/. So i gues my logout.php is not working. I guess that after 24 minutes it wouldnt show me secure page anymore but i didnt wait that long. In documentation it writes that it takes 24 minutes for session to compleatly destroy, if we dont change php.ini file.

2. To secure pages so only registred users can acess them, like I did now, what is better, Sessions, or Cookies, or is there any way to combain them? Is it ok to use only sessions like I did? Is it secure, and what would could I get if I use cookies too. Can someone explain me when should I use Sessions and when Cookies?

3. About Cookies encryption, what is the best way to encrypt a cookie, so if Im sending $password from one page to another and store that password in a cookie, how to secure it from users to see it? What is the best way to do that?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
344 Like 49 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

how to export excel file in same server
My first post - php newbie, so appreciate your support.

I'm currently using headers to save w

Problem in back link
I have page where i have given javascript back link but when i click on it browser give a message

php require help needed
Ok i tried to use the search funtion but the word require is everywhere.

i'm really new to cr

Performance impact of cookies
Hi, I was just wondering what impact there would be in terms of performance if you where to set then

Convert .fdf to .pdf
I currently have a web form that uploads the form data to an .fdf file and emails it.

However

php sessions,logouts & the bloomin back button!
Hi All,

I've got a cms that members can log into. When they logout, the session is destroyed,

Display Database
I need to create a shopping cart. I found this code online: http://conceptlogic.com/jcart/
Unfort

Edit MySQL Row Using PHP and HTML Form
Hello,

Here's what I'm trying to do. Build a page where a user enters a MySQL row number in.

All possible combinations of String in PL/SQL
Hi All,

Could you please explain the logic of getting all possible combinations of String

PHP Multiples of 2, Show posts...not working (wordpress)
I have been using this code to show div.example with 6 li columns inside it, each li is a post with

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash