reorder sql query


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

ok so i have this very simple code:
Code: $query = "SELECT search_keywords, COUNT(search_keywords) AS counter FROM phpbb_popsearch GROUP BY search_keywords ORDER BY counter DESC limit 5";
$res = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($res)) {
$term = $row["search_keywords"];
echo $term;
}

phpbb_popsearch is a table where i put the last search terms used in my forum search engine

this code will group together the same terms and list the 5 most popular terms

my problem is that the results will be ordered by "counter" which is the number of time a term has been found.

I want to get the 5 most popular results AND THEN, AFTER, list the results alphabetically

if i sort the results alphabetically right in the sql query (replacing "ORDER BY counter" by "ORDER BY search_keywords") it will not work correctly because it will not get the 5 most popular terms but just the 5 first terms, alphabetically sorting them and ignoring the number of times the term has been found

thanks for help
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
135 Like 10 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Need help with basic sql
Hi,

I am using oracle 10g, and having some small doubts related to sql , here goes the si

User registration and login
I don't know whether this is the correct forum, if not i apologise but am pretty desperate at the mo

strptime() equivalent for php4 ?!
Greetings!

this is my first post, thank you in advance for your replies.

Well, the ti

unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_
Can anyone view my code and tell me why im getting the error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpect

Regular expression tips or resources
Hello! I'm having some issues implementing the appropriate regex patter to eliminate unwanted charac

Multiple while loops
I have several DB queries that I know should be returning results and aren't. I have a feeling it ha

Need a fuction to count entries in a field
Hi
I need a fuction to count how many times a email address is entered in to a field.

I ma

form variables from database help.
Hi all,

I would like to have a form that gives you options based on the results of an mysql q

PHP Code / Script To check weather the given email exists in a domain
Hi,

I want to implement the following in my web page

in sign up we will ask to enter u

Need help with a mail notify function
I was tasked with setting up a site that's been prewritten. The site is basically a form that captur

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash