mysql_real_escape_string


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Let me preface this that I am very much a PHP noob, but I have some SQL training (not necessarily MySQL, we used the Microsoft variety in school). I have a weird problem, I'm trying to create a script that will take a RSS feed and import it to a MySQL database. It worked well when I was only bringing in 10 items in the feed at a time, but when I opened it up to a larger set of items it freaks out. I think it has to do with the data not being very "clean". Meaning the data has a lot of single and double quotes and what not. As you'll see in my code I've tried to fix this by using mysql_real_escape_string(), but it still get's hung up for some reason. Here's a look at my code:
Code: <?php include('rss_fetch.inc');
define('MAGPIE_FETCH_TIME_OUT', 200);

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
function safe($value){
return mysql_real_escape_string($value);
}

// Set error reporting for this
ini_set('display_errors',1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

// Fetch RSS feed

$rss = fetch_rss('feedurl');



if ($rss) {
// Split the array
$items = array_slice($rss->items,0);

// Cycle through each item and echo
foreach ($items as $item)
{
$con = mysql_connect("server","uname","pword");
if (!$con)
{
die('MySQL could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

mysql_select_db("rsstomysql", $con);


$sql="INSERT INTO `opportunities` (`opp_id`, `opp_title`, `opp_link`, `opp_desc`, `opp_provider`, `opp_startdate`, `opp_enddate`, `opp_location_name`, `opp_categories`, `opp_openended`, `opp_sponsororg`, `opp_starttime`, `opp_endtime`, `opp_contactemail`, `opp_contactphone`, `opp_contactname`)
VALUES('".$item['fp']['id']."', '".safe($item['title'])."', '".$item['link']."', '".safe($item['description'])."', '".$item['fp']['provider']."', '".$item['fp']['startdate']."', '".$item['fp']['enddate']."', '".$item['fp']['location_name']."', '".$item['fp']['categories']."', '".$item['fp']['openended']."', '".$item['fp']['sponsoringorganizationname']."', '".$item['fp']['starttime']."', '".$item['fp']['endtime']."', '".$item['fp']['contactemail']."', '".$item['fp']['contactphone']."', '".$item['fp']['contactname']."')
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `opp_title` = '".$item['title']."';";
if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
{
die('MySQL Error: ' .mysql_errno() .mysql_error());
}
echo "Records added";
mysql_close($con);
}
}
else
{
echo '<h2>Magpie Error:</h2><p>'.magpie_error().'</p>';
}
// Restore original error reporting value
@ini_restore('error_reporting');
?>This is the error I'm getting:
QuoteMySQL Error: 1064You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Stop Modern Day Slavery'' at line 3The 'Stop Modern Day Slavery" is in one of the title fields in the feed. I have used mysql_real_escape_string() on the title field, but it does not seem to have any effect. Does anyone have any ideas? I've also used addslashes() and it does the same thing...
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
72 Like 34 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_
Can anyone view my code and tell me why im getting the error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpect

how do I show what a user have selected from a checkbox?
From my code below, how would i show which check boxes have been checked and which radio buttons sel

Prevent PHP mail( ) from appending hostname to from address
Hey guys,

I want to be able to send texts to phones via email (since each phone has their own

Delete all from a table
I can not get the following code to work. If I run the sql statement in the db it will delete all t

mod_rewrite.c on windows ??
why it's not working on windows while it's working on other hosts???

this is the code i got

sql error
I have been looking at this code for 20mins and can't work out what I am doing wrong. There is somet

can i optmize image to 50% quality before uploading 2 server
Hi there

i have jus written a php program to upload and display images but when i try to uplo

Coding Critique
I was hoping someone could take a second and look down my code and see if they see any problems with

whats wrong with my code please help!!!
this is the error


Warning: mysql_close(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link res

Echo-ing MySQL content and Keep Formatting?
I have data in my MySQL such as:

QuoteBlah blah

Blah blah

etc
but when i ech

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash