mysql_real_escape_string

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Let me preface this that I am very much a PHP noob, but I have some SQL training (not necessarily MySQL, we used the Microsoft variety in school). I have a weird problem, I'm trying to create a script that will take a RSS feed and import it to a MySQL database. It worked well when I was only bringing in 10 items in the feed at a time, but when I opened it up to a larger set of items it freaks out. I think it has to do with the data not being very "clean". Meaning the data has a lot of single and double quotes and what not. As you'll see in my code I've tried to fix this by using mysql_real_escape_string(), but it still get's hung up for some reason. Here's a look at my code:
Code: <?php include('rss_fetch.inc');
define('MAGPIE_FETCH_TIME_OUT', 200);

function safe($value){
return mysql_real_escape_string($value);
}

// Set error reporting for this
ini_set('display_errors',1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

// Fetch RSS feed

$rss = fetch_rss('feedurl');

if ($rss) {
// Split the array
$items = array_slice($rss->items,0);

// Cycle through each item and echo
foreach ($items as $item)
{
$con = mysql_connect("server","uname","pword");
if (!$con)
{
die('MySQL could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

mysql_select_db("rsstomysql", $con);

$sql="INSERT INTO `opportunities` (`opp_id`, `opp_title`, `opp_link`, `opp_desc`, `opp_provider`, `opp_startdate`, `opp_enddate`, `opp_location_name`, `opp_categories`, `opp_openended`, `opp_sponsororg`, `opp_starttime`, `opp_endtime`, `opp_contactemail`, `opp_contactphone`, `opp_contactname`)
VALUES('".$item['fp']['id']."', '".safe($item['title'])."', '".$item['link']."', '".safe($item['description'])."', '".$item['fp']['provider']."', '".$item['fp']['startdate']."', '".$item['fp']['enddate']."', '".$item['fp']['location_name']."', '".$item['fp']['categories']."', '".$item['fp']['openended']."', '".$item['fp']['sponsoringorganizationname']."', '".$item['fp']['starttime']."', '".$item['fp']['endtime']."', '".$item['fp']['contactemail']."', '".$item['fp']['contactphone']."', '".$item['fp']['contactname']."')
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `opp_title` = '".$item['title']."';";
if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
{
die('MySQL Error: ' .mysql_errno() .mysql_error());
}
echo "Records added";
mysql_close($con);
}
}
else
{
echo '<h2>Magpie Error:</h2><p>'.magpie_error().'</p>';
}
// Restore original error reporting value
@ini_restore('error_reporting');
?>This is the error I'm getting:
QuoteMySQL Error: 1064You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Stop Modern Day Slavery'' at line 3The 'Stop Modern Day Slavery" is in one of the title fields in the feed. I have used mysql_real_escape_string() on the title field, but it does not seem to have any effect. Does anyone have any ideas? I've also used addslashes() and it does the same thing...

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
72 Like 34 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Backflush
I am looking for a report in SAP that would give me a list of all parts that are populated with a ba

ImageCreate()
When I create an image and add text to it I want my text to be replaced with a PNG image, because th

Simple MySQL query...
Hello,
How could I do a mysql query that does this: SELECT * WHERE date/time < 5minutes ag

Creating web pages by php
Hello again,
I was just wondering us there a way to use a php script to create a new web page. I

PHP Directory Listing Not working
Hey Guys,

I need help, I tried a ton of directory listing scripts and they all don't work. Al

Best way to cross matching large datasets
Hi,

Im running a script where am I cross matching about 200 000 data sets with each other. Ea

Display data returned from Ajaxservices!!
I have a question about displaying results using ajax. I have part of the code below.
$.ajax({

How to write on database when a link is clicked?
Hi, I have a list of products in a gridview. When the link is clicked currently it takes to an ext

Select Lists into MYSQL
Hello All, I am new to PHP @ 1 week. So borrowing code anywhere I can. I am making progress, but h

need help in creating captcha
hi i have a problem creating captcha system. i create some basic script for image displaying but it

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash