UDP Multicast question

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hey,

Im not really in the know when it comes to network related programming and activities, i know the diference between TCP/UDP and have the jist of it all...

However one thing ive just been reading that i didnt know was that UDP supports multicasting a message to a given address within a range. Now i was just wondering is this restricted to local networks, or can this be done via the internet as well?

Using an MMO as an example, if someone in an area moved with this method you could just send out this one update to a broadcast group and everyone would get the updates, but the article only mentions its usage within local networks, so is there some restriction online to using this?

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
324 Like 40 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Running External Scripts
I am very new to PHP and am not even sure what I'm asking is possible. I have just installed mediaW

GIS appliction help
I found some tutorials in the internet to develop a map application I don't want to use google maps

How to find OS bit version
How can I tell the person browsing my site is running 32, or 64 bit operating system?

Help, Base64 encoding url and decoding server side.
Hello everyone, i have a website with videos and games and also provide an embed code which people c

check comment for html
hi, I just wanted to check if a comment a user posts contains HTML, and if it does, to not allow it

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash