UDP Multicast question

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hey,

Im not really in the know when it comes to network related programming and activities, i know the diference between TCP/UDP and have the jist of it all...

However one thing ive just been reading that i didnt know was that UDP supports multicasting a message to a given address within a range. Now i was just wondering is this restricted to local networks, or can this be done via the internet as well?

Using an MMO as an example, if someone in an area moved with this method you could just send out this one update to a broadcast group and everyone would get the updates, but the article only mentions its usage within local networks, so is there some restriction online to using this?

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
324 Like 40 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Database/Table Collation
What is the Database, and table collations used for? i don't understand what there used for since co

PHP doesn't send my mail
Hi all, I found this and used it to send mail. Simple contact form with some required fields. The va

Is there a way to override built in php functions without APD?
I am trying to use the
rename_function()
override_function()
options that are built into

Socket problem
Hello,

Earlier I posted about my problem with my socket script. It took up to 100% CPU usage.

Time-based image rotation script
I'm trying to write a PHP script that rotates an image based on what time of day it is. I want the

Hardcopy printing is to wide
I want to make a hardcopy at runtime of my active form like this

Get word number x from string?
How can I use a function to loop through a string, and "have a look at" every word in the

parsing error
can anyone explain this syntax error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF

The e

Does design fit in FPGA ?
Hi all,

I've made a large HCC-Design. Because of the program-size the compile process with th

onClick='location.href=index.htm'> not working
Below is my code:

echo "<input type='button' value='redirect' onClick='location.h

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash