UDP Multicast question


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hey,

Im not really in the know when it comes to network related programming and activities, i know the diference between TCP/UDP and have the jist of it all...

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
However one thing ive just been reading that i didnt know was that UDP supports multicasting a message to a given address within a range. Now i was just wondering is this restricted to local networks, or can this be done via the internet as well?

Using an MMO as an example, if someone in an area moved with this method you could just send out this one update to a broadcast group and everyone would get the updates, but the article only mentions its usage within local networks, so is there some restriction online to using this?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
324 Like 40 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

PHP Script runs on CLI but not through web browser
I am running into an issue that I just can't seem to find the answer to. I have a Windows Server 200

IIS on 2003 anon access disabled issue
I have an IIS server that belongs to a domain, and anonymous access is turned off for all my sites.

This must be easy , pulling the last record of the day, every day, from a txt
I have a txt file logging weather data every minutes (so 1 record per minute). I want to extract the

mr8m - reverse document
Friends,

I'm trying to reverse a document held by MIRO, but it reports the message balan

Async WSAConnect failed on XP with error code = 2 ("File not found")
Hi all,

I have very strange bug, please help me if you can.

It is reproduced o

getAlexaRank($url) function not working
I have made a function to get alexa rank
the site is here: http://mytestsite.rack111.com/1

Trigger tag in aspx is not coming
hi all ,iam new to ajax, iam using file upload inside the update pannel but right now i want to use

getting a website's source code as a variable? How?
Hey guys, is there any way for me to get the source code of a website as a variable for me to work w

Contact Form Not Working When I Add Validation Codes
So I built my first working PHP "Contact Us" like form. But, I have been trying to now mak

need a script for 3 pages
I have a customer who wants me to set up a site with a number of pages with the following requiremen

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash