Plea against AAP's power bills waiver disposed
Posted on
24th May 2014 01:15 pm by
admin
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday disposed of a plea filed against the erstwhile Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government's decision to give 50 percent waiver on pending power bills of 24,036 consumers.<br /><br />The consumers had stopped payment of their dues during their Aam Aadmi Party's "bijli satyagraha", from October 2012 to December 2013.<br /><br />A division bench of Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice R.S. Endlaw disposed of the plea after an affidavit filed by the city government said it has not made any provision in the budget for funds to finance the subsidy on electricity as promised by the erstwhile AAP regime.<br /><br />The court said that as the AAP government was not in power in Delhi at present, there were less chances of implementation of the power waiver decision.<br /><br />It said if at all in future any government takes this decision, the court can be approached again.<br /><br />The bench was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by advocate Vivek Narayan Sharma, who sought quashing of the AAP government's decision to give 50 percent waiver on pending bills of the 24,036 consumers and to close power theft cases registered against 2,508 consumers last year.<br /><br />On Feb 12, the AAP government, two days before it resigned, announced it would provide 50 percent waiver on the pending bills and also decided to waive the penalties for default.<br /><br />The plea said that such an action of the government to close theft cases was like "sponsoring and abetting criminal/terrorism acts and acts against rule of law and constitution".<br /><br />Shortly after its formation, the AAP had launched a "bijli satyagraha" alleging that power bills in Delhi were inflated. As part of the campaign, Kejriwal urged people of Delhi to stop paying their bills, the plea said.<br /><br />During October 2012 to December 2013, the authorities disconnected 2,508 electricity meters for non-payment of bills, following which many people allegedly started stealing power. Numerous theft cases are pending in courts.<br /><br />The plea said the AAP was enticing the public to follow no rules, and the estimated loss to public exchequer because of the move was around Rs.6 crore.<br /><br />Filing an affidavit for the Delhi government, deputy secretary of power Madhu Sudan had said that in the absence of availability of funds, it was not possible to implement the decision of the erstwhile Delhi cabinet for providing relief to the electricity consumers who stopped paying their bills.
292
6
Other news
BSE sliding 500 points after china valuation collision and Grrece fears
Continuing its slide, the benchmark BSE (Bombay Stock Ex
RJD Training Camp: Lalu Yadav said, agitate - fill the jail, do not be afraid of trial, Satyagraha is necessary against injustice
RJD supremo Lalu Yadav on Tuesday told workers and party leaders that satyagraha against injustice i
Pakistan: Clashes in Pakistan due to inflation and lack of food, police have to resort to lathi-firing
The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has said that inflation, shortage of food grains,
Russia-Ukraine War Updates: Russia destroys 2 weapons depots near Kyiv; Ukraine claims 19,500 Russian soldiers killed in the war
The Russia-Ukraine war is going to complete 50 days soon. Meanwhile, Russia has destroyed two arm
School Holiday Tamil Nadu: Schools are closed in Tamil Nadu's Puducherry, Karaikal today, heavy rain continues
School Holiday Tamil Nadu: Heavy rain continues in Tamil Nadu. The state government has decided t
Maharashtra Board: Maharashtra Board class 12th exams start in offline mode, here are the guidelines
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE) 12th examinations h
No confrontation with the Central Government: AAP
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) The AAP Tuesday said that it would not get into any confrontation with
Came to kill Nupur Sharma! Changed 5 buses, walked 20 km; The full story of Rizwan's entry into India
NUPUR SHARMA NEWS: Rizwan Ashraf entered India with an 11-inch knife to kill Nupur Sharma. But be
Bade Miyan Chote Miyan: 'Swag of the elder, style of the younger', the first song of 'Bade Miyan Chote Miyan' will be released on this day
Akshay Kumar and Tiger Shroff are in the news these days for their upcoming film 'Bade Miyan Aur
Agreement to explore the possibility of grid connectivity between India and UAE, a total of four agreements signed at the Vibrant Gujarat Summit
Foreign Secretary Vinay Kwatra said on Wednesday that India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) ha