Attempt to assign property of non-object in...


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I'm having issues with the following function in PHP 5...

function getTreeWithChildren()
{
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
$category_id = $this->fields['id'];
$parent_id = $this->fields['parent'];

$this->DB->build( array( 'select' => join(',', $this->getFields()),
'from' => $this->table,
'order' => $this->fields['sort']
) );
$this->DB->execute();


// create a pseudo root level object
$root = new stdClass;
$root->$category_id = 0;
$root->children = array();

$arr = array($root);

// populate array and create empty child array
while ($row = $this->DB->fetch()) {
$arr[$row->$category_id] = $row;
$arr[$row->$category_id]->children = array();
}

// build child data
foreach ($arr as $id => $row) {
if (isset($row->$parent_id))
$arr[$row->$parent_id]->children[$id] = $id;
}

return $arr;
}



I'm getting the error

QuoteAttempt to assign property of non-object in ... on line 391

which is...

$arr[$row->$category_id]->children = array();

I've tried typecasting "$this->DB->fetch()" to an object with...

while ($row = (object) $this->DB->fetch()) {

but get a maximum execution time exceeded error instead.

The code was originally written for PHP 4 so I suspect it might be a way the objects are handled and the use of stdClass()?

I'd be extremely grateful if somebody could give me pointers to make this PHP5 compatible (5.2.9)? Thanks in advance
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
84 Like 54 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

limitations on array_unique()
Does any one know what/how imitations are applied to array_unique? I have an issue where no matter h

Nested (echoed) php running wrong script
Got a problem with a php website I'm creating.

In a nutshell, the first page is entirely html

Comma seperated implode & modifying returned string.
I have a PHP post form that posts up to 4 variables. I need whatever variables are passed to be comb

help understanding hidden input w/ php
hello i'm doing a tutorial where there are multiple forms for an edit page for a user to update thei

True way to see if action was successful?
If this is a good way to see if action was successful to continue:

Code: function changeGa

how can i make a .gif images for my site
Dear Friends ,

Pls solve my problem , I am starting making new site but i dont know how can i

Calculating a rating by adding number of points and dividing by number of items
I have a site that users can post links to files to download. They can rate these files on a 1-5 sca

Calculus Help (and by help I mean homework)
Hrmmm, I hate posting about math homework, partly because it's homework, and partly because I hate w

ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock Issue
This is what I haveview plaincopy to clipboardprint?Protected Sub posrback_Click(ByVal sender As Obj

How to extract/download content from HTTPS page?
Hello to all the Members of this forum, Im Shoiab, A novice programmer in php.. for my first job I h

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash