HTML Form Server Side Validation


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, Im new here, im currently doing a website for a friend, and I have designed using snippets from different pages a contact form. The contact form performs all my needs at the moment and it has client side validation through the use of jquery. However I need to account for when javascript is turned off so that no bogus entries are put through. So I am trying to do the validation thing however I just keep getting a blank page and I dont see where I am going wrong here.

Here is the code that works however has no server side validation:
Code: [Select]<?php
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
if(isset($_POST['submit']) || isset( $_POST["submit_x"])) {

$to = ""; //has email address that is getting sent to but im not putting in for obvious reasons lol
$subject = "Art Epona Reply From: " . trim($_POST['name']) . " - " . trim($_POST['enqtype']);
$name = $_POST['name'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$message = $_POST['message'];
$dropdown = $_POST['enqtype'];
$emailfrom = ""; //ditto above

$headers = "From: --rn"; //^^
$headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0rn";
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1rn";

$Body = '<body><center>';
$Body .= '<table width="450" border="1" rules="all" cellpadding="10">';
$Body .= '<center>';
$Body .= '<tr><td bgcolor="#666666"><h1><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">New ' . trim($_POST['enqtype']) . ' from Art Epona Website!</font></h1></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td bgcolor="#cccccc"><p><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>' . trim($_POST['name']) . '</b> will like to make a <b> ' . trim($_POST['enqtype']) . '</b>. <br /> Here are the contents of the Enquiry:<br /></font></p>';
$Body .= '<table width="430" border="1" cellpadding="10" rules="all">';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Name:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td width="288" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . trim($_POST['name']) .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Email:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . trim($_POST['email']) .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Message:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . trim($_POST['message']) .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td colspan="2" align="center"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><a href="mailto:' . trim($_POST['email']) . '">Click here to reply to the sender</a></font></td></tr>';
$Body .= "</table></td></tr></center></table></center></body></html>";

mail($to, $subject, $Body, $headers);

header('Location: contactthanks.html');

} else {

header('Location: contacterror.html');

}

?>
Here is the code that I want to implement, however it is not working:

Code: [Select]<?php

if(isset($_POST['submit'])) || isset( $_POST["submit_x"])) {

//Check to make sure that the name field is not empty
if(strip_tags($_POST['name']) == '') {
$hasError = true;
} else {
$name = strip_tags($_POST['name']);
}

//Check to make sure sure that a valid email address is submitted
if(strip_tags($_POST['email']) == '') {
$hasError = true;
} elseif (!eregi("^[A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9._%-]+.[A-Z]{2,4}$", strip_tags($_POST['email']))) {
$hasError = true;
} else {
$email = strip_tags($_POST['email']);
}

//Check to make sure message was entered
if(strip_tags($_POST['message']) == '') {
$hasError = true;
} else {
$message = strip_tags($_POST['message']);
}

if(isset($hasError)) {

header('Location: contacterror.html');}

else {
$to = ""; //^^
$headers = "From: rn"; //^^
$headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0rn";
$headers .= "Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1rn";
$emailfrom = ""; //^^
$dropdown = $_POST['enqtype'];
$subject = "Art Epona Reply From: " . $name . " - " . $dropdown;


$Body = '<body><center>';
$Body .= '<table width="450" border="1" rules="all" cellpadding="10">';
$Body .= '<center>';
$Body .= '<tr><td bgcolor="#666666"><h1><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">New ' . $dropdown . ' from Art Epona Website!</font></h1></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td bgcolor="#cccccc"><p><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>' . $name . '</b> will like to make a <b> ' . $dropdown . '</b>. <br /> Here are the contents of the Enquiry:<br /></font></p>';
$Body .= '<table width="430" border="1" cellpadding="10" rules="all">';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Name:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td width="288" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . $name .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Email:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . $email .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td width="60" bgcolor="#666666"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><b>Message:</b></font></td>';
$Body .= '<td bgcolor="#ffffff"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000">' . $message .'</font></td></tr>';
$Body .= '<tr><td colspan="2" align="center"><font face="Tw Cen MT" color="#000000"><a href="mailto:' . $email . '">Click here to reply to the sender</a></font></td></tr>';
$Body .= "</table></td></tr></center></table></center></body></html>";

mail($to, $subject, $Body, $headers);

header('Location: contactthanks.html');
}


} else {
header('Location: contacterror.html');
}

?>
I dont see where I am going wrong (well obviously since i am nooby lol ) but yeah if anyone has a solution, ill gladly accept it pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease and also if an explanation could be given too because i am still in the learning process lol

Thanks in advance
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
120 Like 36 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

need to apply an if/else statement to Tim Thumb script
Not sure how to work this. I essentially want to call a variety of image sizes based on which style

ctype() validation - allowing illegal characters
Hello,
I use ctype() to filter and validate a user form. However, I am trying to allow certain c

Parse multirow HTML table
Hello all,
I have a site I am working on. Its a sports site and I am trying to add stats to a DB

Multiple arrays inside data
Hi,

Simple question. I have a column called "array" in my database, and inserted in

empty() error
Why does

Code: empty($USER_ID = $_SESSION["USER_ID"])
create this error...

Function to extract email attachments using PHP IMAP
function extract_attachments($connection, $message_number) {

$attachments = array();

A WBS element with the name XXX already exists in version FREI_VERSION
Hi.
When I am trying to insert WBS element in a project, error occurs:

"A WBS eleme

POST into Array problem
Hi Chaps,

I have a repeat region, displaying rows of data: jobid, fromtable, translatorcharge

help with image text
Hi ...

see i need the text of the name and number to start in the center and always be in the

help with database debug pls
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /home/content/m/e/s/mesick/html/students/05/php/chec

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash