newbie question about multiple queries


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

hi everyone,
I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm young and trying to learn php on my own. I bought the PHP6 Bible and I'm doing a tutorial on multiple-queries.

I followed the book exactly, but I'm not getting the right result.
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
here's my code:

Code: [Select]<?php require_once('Connections/mydb.php'); ?>
<?php
if (!function_exists("GetSQLValueString")) {
function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType, $theDefinedValue = "", $theNotDefinedValue = "")
{
$theValue = get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($theValue) : $theValue;

$theValue = function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string") ? mysql_real_escape_string($theValue) : mysql_escape_string($theValue);

switch ($theType) {
case "text":
$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
break;
case "long":
case "int":
$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";
break;
case "double":
$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . doubleval($theValue) . "'" : "NULL";
break;
case "date":
$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
break;
case "defined":
$theValue = ($theValue != "") ? $theDefinedValue : $theNotDefinedValue;
break;
}
return $theValue;
}
}

?>
<?php

function display_cities($database_mydb, $mydb)
{
mysql_select_db($database_mydb, $mydb);
$country_query = sprintf("Select 'id', continent, countryname from country order by continent, countryname");
$country_result = mysql_query($country_query, $mydb) or die(mysql_error());

print("<table border=1>n");
print("<tr><th>continent</th><th>country</th><th>cities</th></tr>");

while ($country_row = mysql_fetch_row($country_result))
{
$country_id = $country_row[0];
$continent = $country_row[1];
$country_name = $country_row[2];

print("<tr style='background:red'align=left valign=top>"); print("<td>$continent</td>"); print("<td>$country_name</td>");

print ("<td style='background:blue'>");

$city_query = "select cityname from city where countryID = $country_id order by cityname"; //<----Something with this line is throwing it off!
$city_result = mysql_query($city_query, $mydb) or die(mysql_error());

while ($city_row = mysql_fetch_row($city_result))
{
$city_name = $city_row[0];
print("$city_name
");
}
print("</td></tr>");
}
print("</table>n");
}
?>




<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
<?php
display_cities($database_mydb, $mydb)
?>

</body>
</html>

I've narrowed my problem down to this line "$city_query = "select cityname from city where countryID = $country_id order by cityname";" but that's how the book shows it. But, when I change that line of code to something like "$city_query = "select cityname from city where countryID = 4 order by cityname", then I get all of the cities with a countryID of 4, but they ALL print over and over again in each <td> for the duration of the loop.

I have about 15 entries in the "city" database, and they're all supposed to be echoing into the table, inline with their corresponding country.

This has been driving me nuts for hours, and I've been searching online for an answer. I'm sure I'm overooking something very simple, but please go easy on me, this is my first time attempting this! If someone sees the problem, can you please let me know?

thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
235 Like 19 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Effort Estimation Template for Steady State Support
Hi Everyone,

Is there any SAP provided template/format for system change and enhancements

How to submit a form to the same page?
I have a table containing information about books in my library and this table has the following col

can i optmize image to 50% quality before uploading 2 server
Hi there

i have jus written a php program to upload and display images but when i try to uplo

Hom to make one url to open together with another url
I have a chat, which i want to be opened, as soon as the users login to the site. As it is now, when

Dump with added_funcion cl_salv_table
Hi there, I'm having some troubles adding a self defined function to an ALV in fullscreen. The thing

Hit counter updating once per IP - IP HIT COUNTER
I have a hit counter, for the amount of views on a tutorial.
It'll do the query and then do..

Help with email validation please...
Hi,
Please could you help.
I have a register.php login page where users register, the detail

Is there a quick way to do this?
Hi all,

I need to create a mysql table from php that goes a little something like this

what are '%S%', '%E%'
for example when i see Code: [Select]printf("Hello %srn", $name);
what does %s means

How do I use a global footer..?
If my index.php has a bole bunch of if functions and exit's in them

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash