'210010106140040100' == '210010106140040101'


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Debugging this simple line of a PHP script

Code: if($a == $b){ }
I've found that with value of
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
$a = '210010106140040100' (type = string)
$b = '210010106140040101' (type = string)

the result of the comparison is TRUE

the same if i compare 2 integer

$a = 210010106140040100 (type = int)
$b = 210010106140040101 (type = int)

$a == $b ( true )

If I use the === operator

'210010106140040100' === '210010106140040101' (comparison of strings: result is FALSE)
210010106140040100 === 210010106140040101 (comparison of numbers: result is TRUE)

I think it could be caused by the fact that the string is 'like' integer, but exceed the standard size of integer number.
But the final result remain a mistery for me: I've tested some others 'big' numbers and I've found for example:

18014398509481980==18014398509481981 (true) !!!!
18014398509481982==18014398509481981 (false) !!!!

In my specific script i can handle this specific comparison using the === operator, because i can assume that the variable are string.

But i'd like to know why this happen, and i'd appreciate suggestions about how to efficiently compare 'big' integers.

Thanks!

I use PHP 5.2 with IIS
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
199 Like 53 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Points for Wiki contribution
Hi everyone,

I want to know how long does it take for the moderator to award points for a

Price in PR
Dear Experts,
Why we have to enter the price in the PR, and why there is no free goods indicato

dropdown box help - open php files to textarea
Hi, I am using tinymce to edit content located in several php files. The code I attached works but i

"From field" in PHP email form
I used a wizard to create a PHP email form. I was able to customize it with the exception of the Fr

Local file browser with php
Halo..

So this is what i want to create. I have a folder that i share and it has many movies.

Hit counter updating once per IP - IP HIT COUNTER
I have a hit counter, for the amount of views on a tutorial.
It'll do the query and then do..

Add 5 to a variable when a button is clicked, and re-run a for loop
So I'm making a feedback sort of section on a website with MySQL and PHP, I've gotten the script to

Format String help
I have a textbox where a person enters an application number. the application number is 10 characte

All possible combinations of Strings from table in PL/SQL
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to build a list of all possible string combinations fro

Scheduler problems related to execution of a single BLT by many schedules
Hello all,

We are running several MII instances in a distibuted architecture using a sing

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash