Referential Integrity problem when inserting into 2 tables at same time


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello Everyone,

Im relativity new to PHP and MySQL and i have come up against a problem. i have 2 tables that are linked via foreign key constraints.
Code: --
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
-- Table structure for table `rides`
--
CREATE TABLE rides (
ride_date TIMESTAMP,
ride_name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
planned_distance_travelled INT(5),
actual_distance_travelled INT(5),
planned_time_taken INT(5),
actual_time_taken INT(5),
average_heart_rate INT(5),
calories_burned INT(5),
weather_conditions VARCHAR(100),
feelings_about_ride VARCHAR(100),
PRIMARY KEY (ride_date)
)ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

--
-- Table structure for table `usersrides`
--
CREATE TABLE usersrides (
userid SMALLINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
ride_date TIMESTAMP,
weight int(5),
PRIMARY KEY (userid,ride_date),
CONSTRAINT `fk_usersrides_ride_date` FOREIGN KEY (ride_date) REFERENCES ride (ride_date) ON DELETE RESTRICT ON UPDATE CASCADE
)ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

As you can see they are linked by the ride_date, which is a timestamp. This means that inorder to successfully insert data into the tables, the data must be inserted at the same time to the second.

This is the PHP script i am using to insert the data into the 2 tables:
Code: <?php

echo connect();

$userid = $_SESSION['userid'];
$weight = 0;

$ride_name = $_POST['ride_name'];
$planned_dist_trav = $_POST['planned_dist_trav'];
$actual_dist_trav = $_POST['actual_dist_trav'];
$planned_time_tak = $_POST['planned_time_tak'];
$actual_time_tak = $_POST['actual_time_tak'];
$avg_heart_rate = $_POST['avg_heart_rate'];
$calories= $_POST['calories'];
$weather_cond = $_POST['weather_cond'];
$feelings = $_POST['feelings'];

$ride_name = stripslashes($ride_name);
$planned_dist_trav = stripslashes($planned_dist_trav);
$actual_dist_trav = stripslashes($actual_dist_trav);
$planned_time_tak = stripslashes($planned_time_tak);
$actual_time_tak = stripslashes($actual_time_tak);
$avg_heart_rate = stripslashes($avg_heart_rate);
$calories = stripslashes($calories);
$weather_cond = stripslashes($weather_cond);
$feelings = stripslashes($feelings);

$ride_name = mysql_real_escape_string($ride_name);
$planned_dist_trav = mysql_real_escape_string($planned_dist_trav);
$actual_dist_trav = mysql_real_escape_string($actual_dist_trav);
$planned_time_tak = mysql_real_escape_string($planned_time_tak);
$actual_time_tak = mysql_real_escape_string($actual_time_tak);
$avg_heart_rate = mysql_real_escape_string($avg_heart_rate);
$calories = mysql_real_escape_string($calories);
$weather_cond = mysql_real_escape_string($weather_cond);
$feelings = mysql_real_escape_string($feelings);


//add the date into the rides table
$sql="INSERT INTO rides (ride_name, planned_distance_travelled, actual_distance_travelled, planned_time_taken, actual_time_taken, average_heart_rate, calories_burned, weather_conditions, feelings_about_ride) VALUES ('$ride_name','$planned_dist_trav','$actual_dist_trav','$planned_time_tak','$actual_time_tak','$avg_heart_rate','$calories','$weather_cond','$feelings')";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

if (!$result) {
die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
}elseif ($result) {
echo "1 Record Added to the rides table";
echo "<BR>";
}


//add the date into the usersrides table
$sql1="INSERT INTO usersrides (userid, weight) VALUES ('$userid','$weight')";
$result1=mysql_query($sql1);

if (!$result1) {
die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
}elseif ($result1) {
echo "1 Record Added to the usersrides table";
//header("Refresh: 2; url=home.php");
}
mysql_close()

?>

I realise this is alot of reading, but i didnt know how to explain this situation any other way. At the moment, data is being inserted into the 'rides' table, but when it gets to the usersrides table a foriegn key error comes up.

What i would like to know is....Is what im trying to do possible?

Thanks in advance,
-Regards,
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
256 Like 24 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Grabbing Values From an Array for Posting
I have a grid array that I am using with a form that when it hits the currently named test.php it lo

trouble printing an array....
I'm having some trouble printing out an array forwards. I'm figuring out the high and low of an arra

Tracking Unique Clicks
Hi guys and gals,

Basically I have a database which tracks clicks on my outbound links, I do

Error with Font and imagettfbbox
I keep getting an error that says "Warning: imagettfbbox() [function.imagettfbbox]: Could not f

ALV sum various columns problem
Hi all,
I'm doing a report on ABAP for a timesheet of the current month. The output i want is s

insert PHP code into function
Hi,
I'm having problems when trying following:

I have:
Code: [Select]createBar("Do

constructor ?
i have written this program and made 3 constructors in the class and i want to call them in the main

Variable passed to each() is not an array or object
Hi,

This is a email a friend type of form, and it isn't working anymore.

<?

How to ask a regex question?
Hi, I thought I'd share some of my insight after seeing too many bad questions that either get ignor

Renaming array keys
The issue: renaming array keys inside a foreach loop.

I'm trying to build a pie chart image w

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash