Code Help.. If txt input box empty search X instead..


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I am having a problem with my search script. At current it will simply search by a selected date which is a java based calendar that displays when using id='datedisplay' in the input form field below. What I want it to do is have an extra input text field box that can search for text/words within a table field. So my query would be something like Code: SELECT * FROM tbl_comments WHERE comments_date LIKE '%$search%' OR comments_content LIKE '%$textsearch%' ORDER BY comments_date DESC, comments_time DESC But now it gets tricky. I want it to work so if someone types something into the text input box, it will ignore the other input box that searches by date. And if the text input search box is empty, it will ignore the text input box and search only by the date input box.

I am assuming it's going to involve some if statements and posssible !empty and }else{ commands, I am just not 100% sure how to piece what I want together within my search code below.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
Here is my form code:Code: echo "<form method='post' action='handover_index.php'>";
echo "<input type='text' name='search' id='datedisplay' style='width: 60px;' maxlength='10'> ";
echo "<input type='hidden' name='cmd' value='search' />";
echo " <input type='Submit' name='submit' value='Go!'>";
echo "</form>";

And here is my php code:Code: // ##### Search DB ##### Start ->
$str = str_replace("n", "<BR />", $str);
if (strlen($_POST["search"]) > 1 or strlen($_GET["search"]) > 1)
{
if(isset($_POST["search"])) $search=$_POST["search"];
if(isset($_GET["search"])) $search=$_GET["search"];

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tbl_comments WHERE comments_date LIKE '%$search%' ORDER BY comments_date DESC, comments_time DESC");

echo "<table width='98%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='3' border='0'>";

$i = 0;
while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$comments_id=$r["comments_id"];
$comments_date=$r["comments_date"];
$comments_time=$r["comments_time"];
$comments_user=$r["comments_user"];
$comments_content=str_replace("rn","
",$r[comments_content]);
$comments_updateuser=$r["comments_updateuser"];
$comments_updatedate=$r["comments_updatedate"];
$comments_updatetime=$r["comments_updatetime"];

list($thour, $tmin, $tsec) = explode(':', $comments_time);
list($uthour, $utmin, $utsec) = explode(':', $comments_updatetime);

if ($_GET[cmd]== "edit" and $_GET[comments_id] == $comments_id) {

$comments_content=str_replace("
","rn",$r[comments_content]);
echo "<tr>";
echo "<form action='handover_index.php' method='post'>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='375'><font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date</font> <font class='rowadded'>at</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_time</font> <font class='rowadded'>by</font> $comments_user</td>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><input type=submit name=submit value=Update><input type=hidden name=comments_id value=$comments_id></div></td>";
echo "<tr></tr>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' colspan='2' width='100%'><textarea name=comments_content cols='10' rows='5'>$comments_content</textarea>

</td>";
echo "</form>";
echo "</tr>";

}else{ if($i%2 == 0){

echo "<tr class='rowresult1'>";
echo "<td class='txt' valign='top' width='375'> <font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date $thour:$tmin</font> - $comments_user";
if (!empty($comments_updateuser)) {
echo "<font size='2' color='#000000'> / </font> <font class='rowadded'> Updated</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_updatedate $uthour:$utmin</font> - " .$comments_updateuser. "";
}
echo "</td>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><INPUT TYPE='button' name='edit' value='Edit' onClick=self.location='handover_index.php?cmd=edit&comments_id=$comments_id&search=$search'></div></td>";
echo "</tr><tr class='rowresult1'>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' colspan='2' valign='top' width='100%'>$comments_content

";
echo "</td></tr>";
$i++;

}else{

echo "<tr class='rowresult2'>";
echo "<td class='txt' valign='top' width='375'> <font class='rowadded'>Added</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_date $thour:$tmin</font> - $comments_user";
if (!empty($comments_updateuser)) {
echo "<font size='2' color='#000000'> / </font> <font class='rowadded'> Updated</font> <font class='rowaddeddata'>$comments_updatedate $uthour:$utmin</font> - " .$comments_updateuser. "";
}
echo "</td>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' valign='top' width='45'><div class='rowalign'><INPUT TYPE='button' name='edit' value='Edit' onClick=self.location='handover_index.php?cmd=edit&comments_id=$comments_id&search=$search'></div></td>";
echo "</tr><tr class='rowresult2'>";
echo "<td class='rowtxt' colspan='2' valign='top' width='100%'>$comments_content

";
echo "</td></tr>";
$i++;
}
}
}
echo "</table>";
echo "
";
}else{
// ##### Search DB ##### End <-
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
215 Like 41 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

What's wrong with my code
sobbing for many days, still don't know why please Help. Why my page isn't posted correctly. In a

MVC - Code review
I'm in the process of trying to wrap my head around MVC, and as part of that, I'm attempting to impl

To change the name of label on SAP screen XK02.
Hi All,

Can one suggest me how to change the label of an input field of a sap standard s

DateTimeZone::listIdentifiers headache
http://php.net/manual/en/datetimezone.listidentifiers.php


So the documentation states tha

Undefined variables
hi
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change of partner analyse in sales orders
Hello,

I changed the partner analyse for sales orders and added a new mandatory partnerro

RSS feed - FeedList for WordPress
Hi,

I'm trying to alter the FeedList plugin for WordPress so that I can click on the title of

Calander layout
Hi i know this sounds like a simple question but i cant find the answer to it anywhere i have added

Changing color in GD via variable?
Hey guys, I'm new here. x)

I'm very much a noob when it comes to PHP, but I'm trying to learn

what are '%S%', '%E%'
for example when i see Code: [Select]printf("Hello %srn", $name);
what does %s means

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash