Regular expression tips or resources

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello! I'm having some issues implementing the appropriate regex patter to eliminate unwanted characters from a string.

Here is a sample string:
Code: String str = "test-hello. me please3, _dog[ -()"; What I need to do is create a regex that will take out all non word characters except for spaces AND strings of type "test-hello" - in other words any string that has word or digit characters followed by a "-" (hyphen) followed by more word or digit characters - this is what is giving me trouble.

What I have right now which is perfect except for the "test-hello" type strings is:
Code: Pattern replace = Pattern.compile("([^\w ])");Matcher matcher = replace.matcher(str);str = matcher.replaceAll(""); The above code removes all non word or digit characters except for spaces but it will obviously still remove the "-" in "test-hello".

I'm not looking for the whole answer of course but any tips or resources I can be pointed to would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with the regex syntax in Java as I am in say PHP.

Thank you!

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
84 Like 39 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Echoing If Function?
A script I am using has If statements in the comments form to basically tell the form what to do. Cu

C++ API to Oracle dB
I need to perform a select command to the Oracle dB to obtain information from a table.
What libr

A little help needed passing hidden values to next page
I have a page that has hidden values in a form.

example
Code: <input name='signupID

Download Image from URL and Upload it
Ok, I have been googling for the last 1/2 hour trying to figure this out, Most likely I'm just not s

Insert numbers from Barcode scanner into online php page
I have a real big problem, Here is what I'm trying to do. I have a Intermec CN3 handheld computer th

Accept only alpha characters
I've got this bit of code ready for accepting a phrase:

Code: if (!eregi ("", $_POS

filesize() returns 0
I have a socket program that runs in an infinite loop, listening for connections, in this socket I h

php automatically escaping single quotes
I'm trying to test out my security a bit and I've noticed that php is escaping my single quotes. For

Check Date/Time in PHP
What I need the code to check is that $reQuest is 24 hours in the past then return a time based on h

Problems with adding a link to one position in a 'foreach' loop, please help
Hello!

Iam pretty new to programming and I wanna create a table with users from an array. It

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash