Escape Latin Characters


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I need to escape latin characters in an xml doc. Example: "é" is escaped to "é". I thought I could use the ASCII function, but SELECT ASCII('é') FROM DUAL in Oracle gives me 50089.

I coded this as a quick fix, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
FUNCTION escape_latin(p_str IN VARCHAR2) RETURN VARCHAR2 IS
v_str VARCHAR2(3000) := p_str;
BEGIN
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'À', 'À');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Á', 'Á');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Â', 'Â');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ã', 'Ã');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ä', 'Ä');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ã…', 'Å');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Æ', 'Æ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ç', 'Ç');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'È', 'È');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'É', 'É');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ê', 'Ê');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ë', 'Ë');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ÃŒ', 'Ì');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Í', 'Í');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ÃŽ', 'Î');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ï', 'Ï');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ð', 'Ð');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ñ', 'Ñ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ã’', 'Ò');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ó', 'Ó');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ô', 'Ô');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Õ', 'Õ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ö', 'Ö');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, '×', '×');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ø', 'Ø');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ù', 'Ù');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ú', 'Ú');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Û', 'Û');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ü', 'Ü');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ý', 'Ý');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Þ', 'Þ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ß', 'ß');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'à', 'à');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'á', 'á');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'â', 'â');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ã', 'ã');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ä', 'ä');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'Ã¥', 'å');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'æ', 'æ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ç', 'ç');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'è', 'è');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'é', 'é');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ê', 'ê');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ë', 'ë');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ì', 'ì');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'í', 'í');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'î', 'î');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ï', 'ï');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ð', 'ð');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ñ', 'ñ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ò', 'ò');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ó', 'ó');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ô', 'ô');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'õ', 'õ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ö', 'ö');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, '÷', '÷');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ø', 'ø');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ù', 'ù');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ú', 'ú');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'û', 'û');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ü', 'ü');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ý', 'ý');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'þ', 'þ');
v_str := REPLACE(v_str, 'ÿ', 'ÿ');

RETURN v_str;
END escape_latin;

Is there a built in function I can use to make this cleaner and shorter?

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
196 Like 17 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

login and redirect
hello! can someone help me.. can you give me an idea.. I want to make a login page and redirects it

Undefined variable when using $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']
Hi guyz, please suggest me something...
On first.php I have one input field NAME, and on posting

Loops and Classes
I am making a template system and everything seems to be going well up until I have to loop in a var

Problem assigning value to variable in "IF" function
Does this script makes sense? I am trying to take the value that is set to "authenticat" a

More pug propaganda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kkrmubsgf8

The commercial is definitely worth watching pug aw

Check Digits and extracting digits
I think I can figure out the code for this but I am having a very hard time getting past the first s

Data Function is Its Not working IN IE8
This is my first time to use formums. I hope i can get solution for this problem. view plaincopy to

utl_file open error
i have file in the unix path

Path /popdev01/pop/popdevb/tfi/

File name

Windows Authentication
I have a website which is windows authenticated.
now i want something more on this application.<

$action = "insert"; //$action = $_GET['action'];
$action = "insert";
//$action = $_GET['action'];

why is this invalid type? I am

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash