Help building / using array


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

First - this is a cross-posting, if this is wrong I apologise! What started out as a MySQL query question (original post http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,273323.0.html) has become a PHP coding question....

I have 2 tables - docs and doc_relationships: -

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
+-------------+--------------+---Table: docs-----+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| document_id | doctype | location | title | thumbnail | added | visible |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 1 | instructions | pdf/a.pdf | a | img/a.jpg | 2001-04-12 20:16:58 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 2 | pressrelease | pdf/b.pdf | b | img/b.jpg | 2002-04-09 20:18:33 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 3 | newsletter | pdf/c.pdf | c | img/c.jpg | 2003-05-21 11:18:54 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 4 | instructions | pdf/x.pdf | x | img/x.jpg | 2004-01-22 19:13:21 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 5 | pressrelease | pdf/y.pdf | y | img/y.jpg | 2005-02-17 17:11:17 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 6 | instructions | pdf/z.pdf | z | img/z.jpg | 2006-07-02 12:15:58 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+
| 7 | pressrelease | pdf/p.pdf | p | img/p.jpg | 2002-03-01 18:31:26 | Y |
+-------------+--------------+-----------+-------+-----------+---------------------+---------+


+-------Table: doc_relationships-----+
| rel_id | document_id | product_id |
+--------+--------------+------------+
| 1 | 1 | 4 |
+--------+--------------+------------+
| 2 | 2 | 3 |
+--------+--------------+------------+
| 3 | 4 | 3 |
+--------+--------------+------------+
| 4 | 6 | 2 |
+--------+--------------+------------+
| 5 | 7 | 3 |
+--------+--------------+------------+

Each row in the doc_relationships table ties one document to a product_id (product_ids are held in another table and will be hardcoded), the above example gives: -

doc 1: instructions, product 4
doc 2: pressrelease, product 3
doc 3: newsletter
doc 4: instructions, product 3
doc 5: pressrelease
doc 6: instructions, product 2
doc 7: pressrelease, product 3

Each product can have any number of Instructions, Press Releases and Newsletters related to it.
Press Releases and Newsletters can be related to one or more product.
Instruction manuals are usually related to one product only.

So far I have three pages - newsletters, pressreleases and instructions, which simply list all the matching documents, using this query: -

Code: $query="SELECT * FROM docs WHERE doctype='newsletter' AND visible='Y' ORDER BY added DESC, document_id DESC";

The problem is I also want to list any relevant documents on product pages, under headings referrring to doc types, so for example on product 3's page: -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product #3 - Super Widget

Desription - this is a remarkable widget, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one!

Instructions:
(link to doc 4)

Press Releases: -
(link to doc 2)
(link to doc 7)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The query I'm using for the product pages is as follows: -

Code:
$query="SELECT * FROM docs, doc_relationships WHERE doc_relationships.document_id=docs.document_id AND doc_relationships.product_id='3' AND visible='Y' ORDER BY docs.added DESC, docs.document_id DESC";


I could add another condition to this query for "doctype" and do it 3 times, once for each doctype, but ideally what I'd like to do on a product page is create 3 arrays (newsletters, pressreleases & instructions) containing the details of each for that product (if any). So here's what I have so far: -

Code: // connect to database and issue the query
mysql_connect($server,$dbusername,$dbpassword);
@mysql_select_db($db_name) or die( "Unable to select database");
$query="SELECT * FROM docs, doc_relationships WHERE doc_relationships.document_id=docs.document_id AND doc_relationships.product_id='3' AND visible='Y' ORDER BY docs.added DESC, docs.document_id DESC";
$all_documents=mysql_query($query);
$total_docs=mysql_num_rows($all_documents);
mysql_close();

if ($total_docs != 0) {
while ($sql = mysql_fetch_object($all_documents)) {
if ($sql -> doctype=='newsletter'){
echo 'document #' . $sql -> document_id . ' is a newsletter<br />';
// create the newsletters array if it doesnt exist
if (!is_array($newsletters)) $newsletters= array();
// add to newsletters array;
array_push($newsletters, $sql);
} else if ($sql -> doctype=='pressrelease'){
echo 'document #' . $sql -> document_id . ' is a pressrelease<br />';
// create the pressreleases array if it doesnt exist
if (!is_array($pressreleases)) $pressreleases= array();
// add to pressreleases array;
array_push($pressreleases, $sql);
} else if ($sql -> doctype=='instructions'){
echo 'document #' . $sql -> document_id . ' is instructions<br />';
// create the instructions array if it doesnt exist
if (!is_array($instructions)) $instructions array();
// add to instructions array;
// not quite sure how!
array_push($instructions, $sql);
}
}
}

print_r($instructions);

As you can see, I added some test echos and this works as expected. The result of the final print_r($instructions) command is: -

QuoteArray ( => stdClass Object ( [document_id] => 4 [doctype] => instructions [location] => pdf/x.pdf [title] => x [thumbnail] => img/x.jpg [added] => 2004-01-22 19:13:21 [visible] => Y [rel_id] => 3 [product_id] => 3 ) ) The problem is I can't seem to extract the data from this array individually, for example I thought: -

Code: echo $instructions[0]['document_id'];

would echo '4' but it doesn't (and actually stops the page output dead).

So: -

1) Am I inserting results into the arrays correctly?

2) How do I access individual document info from each array?

3) How do I (for each array) loop through all documents?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
280 Like 42 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

How to use Substr
I want to check for the word CATEGORY: inside a string which can be CATEGORY: ITEM
and remove the

BAPI BBP_INB_DELIVERY_CREATE - material number missing in delivery
Hi Experts,

I was able to successfully create an Inbound delivery with reference to a PO

can i optmize image to 50% quality before uploading 2 server
Hi there

i have jus written a php program to upload and display images but when i try to uplo

New to PHP and just trying to understand a little code.
I hope I'm not annoying anyone or breaking the rules but I was wondering about this bit of code righ

a multi dimensional array with for each
hi, I have been asked to write an array, I have Zone 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 each zone has 3 sections of weigh

Firewall / visited websites logger
Hi. I have a firewall implementation and I want to log all the websites visited on the machine. S

Hit counter updating once per IP - IP HIT COUNTER
I have a hit counter, for the amount of views on a tutorial.
It'll do the query and then do..

mysql UPDATE request not working and driving me crazy!!!
Hi,

I have been stuck on this for ages.

Quite simply I am trying to update my database

Preloading images
Posting this question here because I am not sure where this should belong.I am building an asp.net a

article site help remaining text
Hi all hope you will be fine
I am creating a article site in this site i want to put some text on

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash