Help Optimizing code


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Good Morning,

I wrote a small import function for a website of mine and I know there has to be a better way to handle what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone can take my code and make it run a hair faster as it seems to be pretty slow right now. Think anyone can speed this up? What am I doing wrong? or am I doing it right?

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
The below function takes a file(csv) reads the content and imports it into the database, how can I optimize this to run faster and cleaner?
Code: function importFile($user_id, $file, $file_id)
{
if(!file_exists($file))
{
return false;
}

$handle = fopen($file, "rb");
$contents = '';
while (!feof($handle)) {
$contents .= fread($handle, 8192);
}
fclose($handle);

if(empty($contents))
{
return false;
}

// grab the items
$items = explode("n", $contents);

// if there are items import them.
if(is_array($items))
{
foreach($items as $key=>$val)
{
$save_val = $val;
$val = explode(",", trim($val));
if(!is_array($val) || sizeOf($val)<=1)
{
$val = explode("t", trim($save_val));
if(!is_array($val))
{
return false;
}
}

// part number
// alt part number
// condition
// qty
// description

foreach($val as $inner_key=>$inner_val)
{
$inner_val = str_replace("r", "", $inner_val);
$val[$inner_key] = str_replace(""", "", $val[$inner_key]);
$val[$inner_key] = trim(mysql_real_escape_string($val[$inner_key]));
}

if(!empty($val[0]) && strtolower($val[0]) != "part number")
{

$val[0] = $this->fixPartNumber($val[0]);
$val[1] = $this->fixPartNumber($val[1]);
// check to see if we need to insert or update
$select_sql = "SELECT inventory_id FROM ".TABLE_PREFIX."inventory WHERE inventory_part_number='{$val[0]}' AND user_id={$user_id}";
$result = $this->db->query($select_sql);
//echo mysql_error()."<BR><BR>";
if(!$result)
{
echo "fail";
exit;
}
if(mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
{
// no record, so insert
$insert_sql = "INSERT INTO ".TABLE_PREFIX."inventory (inventory_part_number, inventory_alt_part_number, inventory_condition_code,
inventory_quantity, inventory_description, last_update, user_id) VALUES (
'{$val[0]}', '{$val[1]}', '{$val[2]}', '{$val[3]}', '{$val[4]}', NOW(), '{$user_id}')";
//echo $insert_sql."<BR><BR>";
$result = $this->db->query($insert_sql);
echo "Inserted: ".$val[0]."<br />";
}
else
{
$update_sql = "UPDATE ".TABLE_PREFIX."inventory SET inventory_part_number='{$val[0]}', inventory_alt_part_number='{$val[1]}',
inventory_condition_code='{$val[2]}', inventory_quantity='{$val[3]}', inventory_description='{$val[4]}', last_update = NOW()
WHERE user_id = {$user_id} AND inventory_part_number = '{$val[0]}'";
//echo $update_sql."<BR><BR>";
$result = $this->db->query($update_sql);
echo "Updated: ".$val[0]."<br />";
}
}
}
$update_sql = "UPDATE ".TABLE_PREFIX."file_upload SET file_flag = 1 WHERE file_id=".$file_id." AND user_id=".$user_id;
$result = $this->db->query($update_sql);
return true;
}
}
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
248 Like 28 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Using two $_POST Function / Switch () statements, second does not work.
Hi all. I’m new to php and am having a problem getting $_POST Function / switch () to work. I

Problem with array max size.
Hi to everyone,
I've got a homework about filling a bidimensional array un spiral shape, I alre

PHP url branch??
Functionally, using PHP, I'm doing a test of login input submitted by a user via an html form in a f

Simple program to copy files between two computers over the web
I use logmein free and often need to move files between my two computers. Generally, I move the file

How do I get the row number from from an sql table query
Hi all

I have a table that I query and it returns a number of rows.
mysql_num_rows($query)

Why does my crawler script suddenly end with no error?
Hi.

I have written a web crawler script. It will visit a large number of URL's with cURL.

How do i use vars in an array
Hiya peeps!

How do I use a var in an array. You will see $id but it isnt working.


Delete records not in top 15
Hi,

I'm creating a hall of fame page in my game and the page will only display the top 15 sco

Oracle Connectivity
Hi Every One,

Can we access SAP from oracle database.If it possible then please spec

shoping cart issues
i´ve wrote this and works when i add an item to, my cart, but when i want to add othrer item just

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash