How to display value in drop down list after form has been reloaded


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Please bear with me as I am very new to php and html.

I have a form with several drop down menus, the one at the top shows a list that when an item is selected fills in the form below including the other drop downs. So when an item is selected the form gets info from a mysql database and then fills in the form. At this point the user can further modify the form and re-submit it to update the database. This means that the drop downs in the form not only need to display the relavent options from the database to reflect the existing choice but also when clicked on show a list to allow the user the change the selection from the list.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
This means that the dropdown needs to:
show the words 'select item' when the form is first loaded and the form is empty
show the current selection when the defined by a selection in the top drodown
show all the available items when the list is dropped down
Curently my drop down does only this:
shows the nothing when the form is first loaded and the form is empty
shows the current selection when defined by a selection in the top drodown
show all the available items when the list is dropped down plus the one that was there before it was clicked on, therefore doubing the option up showing the same option twice

The form is here if you would like to see it in action: http://www.spencercarpenter.co.uk/portfolioAppFiles/simpleForm.php

And a snippet of code from one of th drop downs is here:

Code: <select name="img01" onChange="updateImg(this, 'thumbImg01')">
<option value=-"-1" ><?php echo $row_chosen_pItem['img01']; ?></option>
<?php buildFileList5('uploaded');?>
</select>
the code inside the 'buildFileList5' looks like this:

Code: <?php
function buildFileList5($theFolder)
{
// Execute code if the folder can be opened, or fail silently
if ($contents = @ scandir($theFolder))
{
// initialize an array for matching files
$found = array();
// Create an array of file types
$fileTypes = array('jpg','jpeg','gif','png');
// Traverse the folder, and add filename to $found array if type matches
$found = array();
foreach ($contents as $item)
{
$fileInfo = pathinfo($item);
if (array_key_exists('extension', $fileInfo) && in_array($fileInfo['extension'],$fileTypes))
{
$found[] = $item;
}
}
// Check the $found array is not empty
if ($found)
{
// Sort in natural, case-insensitive order, and populate menu
natcasesort($found);
$selectedImage = ""; //default image
foreach ($found as $filename)
{
if(!empty($_POST['img01']) && $_POST['img01'] == $filename)
{
$sel = "SELECTED";
$selectedImage = $filename;
}
echo "<option value='$filename' $sel>$filename</option>n";
}
}
}
}
?>



I hope that is enough info to explain it.

If anyone could tell how to get the dropdown working properly I would be very gratefull.

Thanks a lot
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
241 Like 49 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

rdns with php
I am trying to build a script that will show all of the different domains that are hosted on the sam

How to calculate days from variable date?
This will be easy for one of you gurus. I want to fetch the date from a variable date, for example:<

login page does not execute a else statement
I've created a login page using sessions.
When an incorrect user name or password is entered then

Need help in Generating Combinations
Need help generating all possible combination of names in an array

Lets say i have the follow

Hyperlink is adding an extra gap to variable
Hi, here's my problem..

I have a php generated page with a hyperlink which opens in a new win

Socket programming
Hello all,

I have a PHP socket script. GPS trackers connect to this socket. IMEI verification

registration form
first time posting. did some searches but didnt find exactly what i am looking for. dont flame cause

How to make URL loads only on login
On my page, when a user login he's redirects to user_home.php. I made it also to open the chat scree

want to add a break after a certain amount of characters
i was wondering how to add a break in a blog post after a certain amount of characters... any idea o

updating a single value to multiple non consecutive rows
I need to update the same value to multiple non consecutive rows. I need to add an experation date t

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash