How to generate a random array of integers subject to a certain constraint


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I am writing a program that asks the user to enter an integer N and then generates a random array of integers of size 2^N, each of whose entries range from 1 to N+1. The final random array, however, must satisfy the following properties: the integer 1 can be stored in 1 slot, the integer 2 can only be stored in 1 slot, the integer 3 can only be stored in 2 slots, the integer 4 can only be stored in 4 slots... until all 2^N slots are filled with the integers 1, 2, ...,N+1.

I have written some code that asks the user to enter an integer N and then
generates a random array of integers of size 2^N but I cannot generate a random array subject to the constraints that I mentioned above. I have written a function, CheckArray, that returns the value of how many times a certain integer
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
appears in the array but I don't know how to use it to help me get my desired random array.

Below is the code I have written so far. Note that the function CheckArray is not called in the program since I don't know how to use it yet.

#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
using namespace std;

int RandomNumber(int m);
int exponentiation(int n);
int CheckArray(int IntegerArray[], int sizeOfArray, int CType);

int main()
{ int N;
int NUMOFCELLS;

cout<< "Enter the maximum number of cell divisions you want: ";
cin>>N;
NUMOFCELLS = exponentiation(N);
cout<<"The maximum number of cells will be: ";

cout< cout<<"n";
cout<<"n";

int sample[128]; // this reserves 128 integer elements
int t;

srand(time(0));
getchar();

for(t = 0; t <= NUMOFCELLS; t++)
{ sample[t] = RandomNumber(N); }

// display the array

for(t = 0; t < NUMOFCELLS; ++t)
{ cout << sample[t] << ' ' ; }

cout<<"n";

getchar();
return 0;
}

int RandomNumber(int m)
{ // generates a random number in the specified range from 0 to (m-1)
int iSecret;
iSecret = rand() % m + 1;
return(iSecret);
}

int exponentiation(int n)
{ int t;
int numberofcells;
numberofcells = 2;
for(t=1; t < n; ++t)
{numberofcells = 2*numberofcells;}

return(numberofcells);
}

int CheckArray(int IntegerArray[], int sizeOfArray, int CType)
{
int accumulator = 0;
int temp;

for(int i = 0; i < sizeOfArray; i++)
{ temp = IntegerArray[i];
if(temp == CType)
{accumulator++;}

}

return accumulator;
}
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
349 Like 46 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Multidimensional $_POST
Hello

How to get a single array from array of array (2 - dimension).
For example I have a

How do I give a developer access to a specific directory and nothing else?
I want to give a develop access to a specific directory and nothing else

I can give them an F

UDP server recvfrom() always returns -1? :(
Hello all,
I am getting a very strange error in my code :( I am writing a server application in C

regex for quoted text within a string
I am still getting the hang of regex expressions, but I cant seem to figure out how I would escape q

Hits this week counter
I have a counter on my site that tracks hits, IP's, etc. into a mySQL database. It also includes the

Mysql query, two times?
Hello to all,

I'm new to php coding and i like it alot. I need help with some noob stuff.

POST into Array problem
Hi Chaps,

I have a repeat region, displaying rows of data: jobid, fromtable, translatorcharge

Dynamically allocating the number of rows in a table based on a variable value
Hi,
I have situation here which i cannot resolve, I have a variable temp which stores the num

Help With editting and deleting form
Hallo !!

So look at this image :

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8272/snapshot5f.pn

New to PHP and just trying to understand a little code.
I hope I'm not annoying anyone or breaking the rules but I was wondering about this bit of code righ

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash