PHP switch function help


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I am trying to create a search function for a directory website. On the search function on html page I have a dropdown menu. From this you can select one OF 3 options - shoes, handbags, shoes and handbags. I have a php process form page where it takes this infor before runninng a query in the sql database.

My question is that I would like the one option to have multiple values - when user clicks shoes, the query will search for a field containing shoes (this bit is fine) but also I want it to select another field to search for a value - this field will depend upon the what option the user picked in the question. The problem being, that unless i rename the fields in the table from lets say, Sbrand to Shoes and Hbrand to handbags i'm not sure how to action

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
What I need is that if value on option was shoe then I need it linked to pick from Sbrand Now I think that I can use a switch function but the current issue is that I must have it in the wrong place as when I tried it as per below code, it appears that the search is looking for a field called the option value so the switch is not working. Perhaps I need to move the switch function from the php process page to the html page but I’m not sure

Any help much appreciated

HTML code………… this works on a method=”get”

<select name="type">
<option value="none">-- Please Select --</option>
<option value="Shoes">Shoes</option>
<option value="Handbags">Handbags</option>
<option value="Shoes and Handbags">Shoes and Handbags</option>
</select>



Here’s the PHP code

$search_type=$db->escapeString($_GET['type']);
switch ($type){
case "Shoes":
echo "Sbrand";
break;
case "Handbags":
echo "Hbrand";
break;
case "Shoes and Handbags":
echo "SHbrand";
break;
}



$result=$db->query("SELECT Sbrand, Hbrand, SHbrand, SB, Retailer, Address, Town, County, Postcode, Postcode_code, Phone, Website FROM database WHERE SB LIKE 'type' AND $search_type LIKE '%$searchterm%'");




Any help much appreciated as i am new to this
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
308 Like 52 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

how to put the 0-100 numbers into 1.txt and 100-200 into 2.txt ?
how to put the 0-100 numbers into 1.txt and 100-200 into 2.txt and so on 200-300 into file 3.txt ?

Can't get the unicode character
I'm trying to get some text from various parts of a file. I have converted the file to hex (bin2hex)

Problem executing bash script using shell_exec
Hi there,
I created a bash script file using following code to convert doc documents to pdf using

Change of partner analyse in sales orders
Hello,

I changed the partner analyse for sales orders and added a new mandatory partnerro

turning an array into a string then poping it into a db
Hi im just wondering how you get a requested array into a single string then pop it into the db so f

Request.UrlReferrer
I need to make it so that a page can only be loaded when a button is clicked on a specific page. I d

Transferring session variables into MySQL
I am trying to transfer $_SESSION variables into MySQL. However there is an error in my MySQL statem

How to make a input/output field with multiple lines
Hello.
I put a input/output field on the screen but I could not change height of it. I need to

Help with simple query
Hi,

I'm trying to do a Query with a Union where I want to print the number of rows $tc conta

Pulling out some result data from MYSQL
Hey Guys,

I've built a PHP page that has a for just imagine something like registration form

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash