Strange cookie problem. setcookie dependant on where user was directed from?


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello,

I have a website that sets a cookie when a user visits the website. The cookie holds an ID number that I have decided to refer to Computer Identification Number (CIN) that is unique for every user. The idea is to be able to identify a computer with the CIN even if the IP changes.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
This is the code I use. What it does is that it first checks whether a visitor is an admin. Every admin pc has the admin cookie called 'admin'. If the user is not an admin, the script checks if cookies of the user is enabled and reloads the page to check. If cookies are on, it checks if the user has been here before, by checking if cookie called tp_visitor is set, if it isnt, the script sets a new tp_visitor. The tp_visitor contains the unique ID number {CIN} ). Each visit, the script writes to a database and logs the CIN, IP and timestamp:

Code: <?php
$connection = connect(); //CONNECTS TO MYSQL
if (empty($_COOKIE['admin']) ) { //COMPUTERS WITH COOKIE: 'ADMIN' ARE ADMINS, AND SHOULD NOT BE COUNTED
if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'])) {
$ref = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
}

// CHECKS IF USER HAS COOKIE BY FIRST SETTING ONE THEN RELOADING THE SAME PAGE TO CHECK IF THE COOKIE WAS SET
if ( ! isset( $_GET['entry'] ) ) {
setcookie('enabled', 'test', (time() + (60*60*24*365*5)));
header('location: ' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?entry=1&' . SID);
}

else {
//IF COOKIE WAS SET
if (!empty($_COOKIE['enabled'])) {
//IF COOKIE TP_VISITOR IS NOT SET (THE USER IS HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME)
if ( !isset( $_COOKIE['tp_visitor'] ) ) {
$new_cin = 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM kingoslo.cin';
$resultat = mysql_query($new_cin, $connection);
$new_cin = mysql_result($resultat,0);
$new_cin = $new_cin + 1;
setcookie('tp_visitor', $new_cin, (time() +(60*60*24*365*5)) );
$cookie = 'INSERT INTO kingoslo.cinlog (cin, tid, ip, referanse) VALUES ("' . $new_cin . '", "' . time() . '", "' . getenv("REMOTE_ADDR") . '", "' . $ref . '")';
$new_cin = 'INSERT INTO kingoslo.cin (cin, visits, epost) VALUES ("' . $new_cin . '", 0, 0)';
mysql_query($cookie, $connection);
mysql_query($new_cin, $connection);
}

//IF COOKIE TP_VISITOR IS SET (THE USER IS NOT HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME)
else {
$no_cookie = 'INSERT INTO kingoslo.cinlog (cin, tid, ip, referanse) VALUES ("' . $_COOKIE['tp_visitor'] . '", "' . time() . '", "' . getenv("REMOTE_ADDR") . '", "' . $ref . '")';
mysql_query($no_cookie, $connection);
setcookie('tp_visitor', $_COOKIE['tp_visitor'], (time() +(60*60*24*365*5)) );
}
}
else { //IF COOKIES WAS DISABLED
$no_cookie = 'INSERT INTO kingoslo.cinlog (cin, tid, ip, referanse) VALUES ("COOKIE_DISABLED", "' . time() . '", "' . getenv("REMOTE_ADDR") . '", "' . $ref . '")';
mysql_query($no_cookie, $connection);
}
}
}
close($connection); //CLOSES CONNECTION
?>
Now what is the problem?

Well it seems that when I visit this script, it will sometimes create a new CIN and cookie called tp_visitor even if the user has been on the website before! This seems to happen more frequently when I am directed from different sources, i.e. if I am first directed from a link on Google, then type in the URL of the website in the next attempt.

I was wondering what this may be the result of. I think it is very strange

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
115 Like 46 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

search function
HI guys,

if anyone could point us in the right direction of how to do this, or provide some t

please hep to get values from a table row
can anyone tel me how I can select and get data from one row by pressing an Edit button in that row

dropdown menu
Hello everbody,

I am php newbie.
I need to develop a program that once click the drop do

NOOB needs help with upload file
The intent of this form is to create a folder for a client and upload an image into another folder '

Need help in Generating Combinations
Need help generating all possible combination of names in an array

Lets say i have the follow

paginate search result
Hi, I have a paginations script to display data from my database but i would like to paginate someon

Setting/Modify Headers using mail() function
I have a question about setting email headers when using mail() in a php script.

When I send

Using Microsoft Exchange Server with PHP
Hi,

I wanted to know if its possible to fetch email attachments from the exchange server usin

mod_rewrite.c on windows ??
why it's not working on windows while it's working on other hosts???

this is the code i got

Just cannot get 'area' to submit to db using same php code as already used
Basically all i have done is just modified some code and added an area section.
The form is allre

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash