Structure Question - One Table or One Table Per Record Set?

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have a web app (mySQL and PHP) which allows people to create an item with up to 200 records which I store in a single table. Any user subscribing to that item will be pulling up to 4 records from the original 100 records each time they load a page. Sometimes the 4 records are chosen randomly and could take many selects to get 4 correct records.

I expect thousands of items to be created, which could lead to millions of records and thousands of millions (I think they call them billions) of selects.

Will this approach scale or should I be creating new tables for each set of records? This could lead to thousands of tables on the DB. Any problems there?

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
265 Like 24 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Users and Groups with PHP Classes
Hi,

I have setup what I hope to be a good working User class. Now I want to introduce group m

Get ID from Database when Posting with a HTML Form
I have a form I am submitting to a MySql database. Each product has an ID # attached to it that auto

How to know if online site made with PHP
Hello,
I see some sites that does not display extensions at all , for example:

www.site.co

Error when call dll from oracle
Hi all, please help me!

I have dll write C language, I want call it from oracle procedur

Cloud Computing?
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help explain this term to me. I'm starting to hear it

Multiple WHILE loops help
Hi there. I'm writing an application that is pulling and displaying results for real estate listing

Trouble with a select list
Hello All!
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with a small problem I'm having!

formating when pulling data from a mysql database 
Ok so Im not to sure if this is the right thread to post in but here is my catch 22 issue.

I

getting weird error..
okay, I'm getting an error on this particular function, something about the syntax in the mysql LIMI

InternetOpenUrl() Invalid cert
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to prevent calls to InternetOpenUrl() from failing with erro

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash