Why Are These Functions Causing MASSIVE Memory Problems? Please Help!


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi,

I have a script with some options.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I use regex to replace patterns in strings, but I seem to be using them incorrectly, because they very quickly break my max_memory_limit (by several orders of magnitude)

This is strange, because I'm dealing with maybe 10 simultaneous strings of 500 words max.

I'm clearly causing some kind of overly recursive syntax, but I can't see how...

Any help you could give me to programme this better (or tell me where I'm going wrong) would be most appreciated

Code: [Select]

$string = "this would be about 500 words long";
$parts = $string; // $parts would normally be a substring of $string;

wp_wordmash($parts);
wp_synonymize($string);
wp_keyword2url($string);

//html stuff follows here...


function wp_wordmash($parts) {

$wordlist = file_get_contents('dictionary.txt', true);
$dictionary = explode(",", $wordlist);
$htmldictionary = array();
foreach($dictionary as $dicword) {
$htmldictionary[] = wp_htmlcode($dicword);
$htmldictionary_u[] = wp_htmlcode(strtoupper($dicword));
$htmldictionary_u1[] = wp_htmlcode(ucfirst($dicword));
$htmldictionary_ucwords[] = wp_htmlcode(ucwords($dicword));
}
for($i=0;$i<count($dictionary);$i++){

$parts = preg_replace("/b$dictionary[$i]b/", $htmldictionary[$i], $parts);
$parts = preg_replace("/b" . strtoupper($dictionary[$i]) . "b/", $htmldictionary_u[$i], $parts);
$parts = preg_replace("/b" . ucfirst($dictionary[$i]) . "b/", $htmldictionary_u1[$i], $parts);
$parts = preg_replace("/b" . ucwords($dictionary[$i]) . "b/", $htmldictionary_ucwords[$i], $parts);
}
return $parts;
}

function wp_htmlcode($string) {

$buffer= NULL;
for($i=0;$i<strlen($string);$i++) {
$buffer .= "&#" . ord($string{$i}) . ";";
}
return $buffer;
}

function wp_synonymize($string){

$buffer=$string;
$synonymfile = file_get_contents('synonyms.txt', true);
$synonyms = explode("n", $synonymfile);
for($i=0;$i<count($synonyms);$i++){
$synonymlist = explode(",", $synonyms[$i]);
$oldword = $synonymlist[0];
$synonym = $synonymlist[1];
$synonym = str_replace("r", '', $synonym);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b$oldwordb/", $synonym, $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . strtoupper($oldword) . "b/", strtoupper($synonym), $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . ucfirst($oldword) . "b/", ucfirst($synonym), $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . ucwords($oldword) . "b/", ucwords($synonym), $buffer);
}
return $buffer;
}

function wp_keyword2url($string){

$buffer=$string;
$keyword2urlfile = file_get_contents('keyword2url.txt', true);
$keywords = explode("n", $keyword2urlfile);
for($i=0;$i<count($keywords);$i++){
$keywordlist = explode(",", $keywords[$i]);
$keyword = $keywordlist[0];
$url = $keywordlist[1];
$url = str_replace("r", '', $url);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b$keywordb/", '<a href = "' . $url . '">' . $keyword . '</a>', $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . strtoupper($keyword) . "b/", '<a href = "' . $url . '">' . strtoupper($keyword) . '</a>', $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . ucfirst($keyword) . "b/", '<a href = "' . $url . '">' . ucfirst($keyword) . '</a>', $buffer);
$buffer = preg_replace("/b" . ucwords($keyword) . "b/", '<a href = "' . $url . '">' . ucwords($keyword) . '</a>', $buffer);
}
return $buffer;
}
As I say, the string passed to these functions is typically < 500 words.

I've also included the comparison files (dictionary.txt, synonyms.txt and keyword2URL.txt)...HERE


I hope you can help...I'm 99% certain I'm using preg_replace() wrong...because if I substitute it with str_replace() then my memory issues disappear.

Problem is, I like preg_replace because it gives me the word border functionality.

I'm just obviously doing it wrong!

Any thoughts?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
136 Like 17 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Count of reciepients in php mailer
How can i sent a mail to large no of reciepients say 10,00,00 Using PHP MAILER

$variable = $variable
Hello

Sorry if this is a really simple question but I have run out of ideas. Is there a reall

Ignore html and bbcode?
I've created a function to limit the amount of text according to the amount of words.

However

query help
Hi experts.

i have a table rep2 like this
PROD_COD ACCT_NO DUE_DAYS BALANCE

Escaped characters
I have a script that allows you to post news to the home page of my site. Along with the news is the

Edit MySQL Row Using PHP and HTML Form
Hello,

Here's what I'm trying to do. Build a page where a user enters a MySQL row number in.

mails going in spam??
The mails I sent to folks in my database using mail(function) are going in spam??

Any idea ho

Database 'Validation'
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to validate the password entered by the user with the password in the dat

calculator
I can't figure out why this code doesn't work. No error messages. Page loads.

Code: <

Using unserialize()
Hi there.

I have some data in my database that is serialized.

e.g.

a:2:{i:0

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash