Force download script not handling files with spaces properly


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have a regular old php force download script, uses this code:

Code: header("Cache-Control: ");
header("Pragma: ");
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="".$download.""");
header("Content-length:".(string)(filesize($path.$download)));
readfile($path.$download);
Where path is preset and $download is set by GET variables (don't worry, I've sanitized, I check the GET value against an array of acceptable filenames.) This works fine on my computer in both Internet Explorer and Firefox:

http://infectionist.com/music/

But I recently got the new Droid phone and found a bug. I cannot download files with spaces in the filename. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing is working. I even tried downloading a file with a space (failed), then renaming that file replacing the space with an underscore, then it worked. So I know that it's space handling that's the issue, I just can't figure out how to get around it!

The whole script is one that lists all the files in a directory that are of a certain extension (in this case mp3, wma, and wav). Each filename is put into an array, this array is used as the check against the GET variable's input. I then array_slice() the array to show 10 results per page. I foreach() the sliced array and print out information about the file, like filesize, filename, format, and a little icon. The filename is a link to download the file, printed like this:

<a href="?file=".urlencode($filename)."">

So spaces get replaced with a + sign in the URL, but get read as a space by the script. I think the problem lies with the readfile() line, I don't know why the Droid phone doesn't like it, but there HAS to be a way to fix this.

If someone, ANYONE, can help me, it will be very much appreciated.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
287 Like 37 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Help! refer to a friend script with captcha code
Hi guys, I am posting on here in desperate need for some help with an ongoing search I have been doi

Ajax not working on IE 6 for Windows CE
I've created a webpage which uses the classis Ajax in following format:view plaincopy to clipboardpr

Wordpress IE issue
So I am trying to add the background shadow to my wordpress page. It works fine in Firefox but does

Creating a db with a query
Hello everyone.
I'm having troubles creating a db with a query.
I'm reading a book called PHP

Feed Maker
Hi all.
First of all I must say I am not a php developer so I am afraid I don't know much about i

System copy error in RUN ABAP REPORT PHASE
Hi,
I am performing system copy on my test server. I have previously taken export of JAVA + A

do while conditions
i want to display 6 images in a 2x3 table
now what would be the correct logic to
count that th

FFmpeg Images 2 Video conversion problem ??
I got folder full of images , number of images = 600 , I want to make a video which plays one image

How to know if online site made with PHP
Hello,
I see some sites that does not display extensions at all , for example:

www.site.co

Code error with Index.php
Error: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/runevid/public_

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash