All possible combinations of Strings from table in PL/SQL


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to build a list of all possible string combinations from values stored in a single table.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
There are multiple "levels" (a level being the order in which the value appears in the outputted string) and multiple values per level...

I'm using Oracle 10g R2, and my tables structure is as follows:
--not the best naming conventions, but it works for discussion... CREATE TABLE FamilyValues ( myID INTEGER NOT NULL, FamilyID INTEGER NOT NULL, myLevel INTEGER NOT NULL, myValue VARCHAR2(10) ) insert into familyvalues values(1,1,1,'I',); insert into familyvalues values(2,1,1,'E',); insert into familyvalues values(3,1,2,'2',); insert into familyvalues values(4,1,2,'J',); insert into familyvalues values(5,1,2,'B',); insert into familyvalues values(6,1,3,'0',); insert into familyvalues values(7,1,3,'1',); insert into familyvalues values(8,1,3,'2',); insert into familyvalues values(9,1,3,'3',); insert into familyvalues values(10,1,3,'4',); insert into familyvalues values(11,1,3,'5',); insert into familyvalues values(12,1,3,'6',); insert into familyvalues values(13,1,3,'7',); insert into familyvalues values(14,1,3,'N',); insert into familyvalues values(15,1,3,'T',); insert into familyvalues values(16,1,3,'V',); insert into familyvalues values(17,1,3,'W',); insert into familyvalues values(18,1,4,'0',); insert into familyvalues values(19,1,4,'1',); insert into familyvalues values(20,1,4,'2',); insert into familyvalues values(21,1,4,'3',); insert into familyvalues values(22,1,4,'4',); insert into familyvalues values(23,1,4,'B',); insert into familyvalues values(24,1,4,'D',); insert into familyvalues values(25,1,4,'F',); insert into familyvalues values(26,1,4,'H',); insert into familyvalues values(27,1,4,'J',); insert into familyvalues values(28,1,4,'K',); insert into familyvalues values(29,1,4,'L',); insert into familyvalues values(30,1,4,'M',); insert into familyvalues values(31,1,4,'N',); insert into familyvalues values(32,1,4,'P',); insert into familyvalues values(33,1,4,'R',); insert into familyvalues values(34,1,4,'T',); insert into familyvalues values(35,1,4,'V',); insert into familyvalues values(36,1,4,'W',); insert into familyvalues values(37,1,4,'X',); insert into familyvalues values(38,1,4,'Y',); insert into familyvalues values(39,1,4,'Z',);

The results i would like to get are, for the sample data above (using only 3 levels for a manageable amount of data):

I 2 0 I 2 1 I 2 2 I 2 3 I 2 4 I 2 5 I 2 6 I 2 7 I 2 N I 2 T I 2 V I 2 W E J 0 E J 1 E J 2 E J 3 E J 4 E J 5 E J 6 E J 7 E J N E J T E J V E J W
my best attempt at this thus far is :
select A.myValue || '-' || B.myValue || C.myValue || D.myValue from FamilyValues A FULL JOIN FamilyValues B ON (B.myLevel -1) = A.myLevel FULL JOIN FamilyValues C ON (C.myLevel -1) = B.myLevel FULL JOIN FamilyValues D ON (D.myLevel -1) = C.myLevel WHERE A.myValue IS NOT NULL AND B.myValue IS NOT NULL AND C.myValue IS NOT NULL AND D.myValue IS NOT NULL

i have read over the post at (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3845767#3845767) but believe this is a slightly different implementation...

I would like to be able to recusively go through the table, and formulate all possible combinations with each values from the table in the positions designated by the level...
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
251 Like 45 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Required to login help
I'm trying to set up my site so users have to be logged into the forum to access the site.I've been

foreach help.
Hello all,

First time I'm attempting to use a foreach statement and was just wondering if my

Menu restriction
How can I restrict the individual menu that would appear when a user logs in so that all users are c

getting most records by count
Code: [Select]<?php

$connect = mysql_connect("localhost","dam

problem with GROUP BY and ORDER BY
i usually use this query to display the last 10 entries from a sql table:

Code: $query = &quo

need help with date function
i have following form for date

Code: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01

Text file to .Dat file Conversion in PHP
Hi All,
Could anybody provide code for Text file to .Dat file Conversion in PHP.

Tha

update the selected existing records of database
Hi frndz,
I am new to php and get stuck....

Edit.php > Update.php > Updatea

Help pulling in 'id' with "read more" link
I'm trying to create snippets of my articles in the cms I'm creating, and then have them redirect to

ScriptManager History and Opera Issue
I am having an issue in opera with the ScriptManager. I have a ScriptManager on a page with history

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash