mysql_real_escape_string

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Let me preface this that I am very much a PHP noob, but I have some SQL training (not necessarily MySQL, we used the Microsoft variety in school). I have a weird problem, I'm trying to create a script that will take a RSS feed and import it to a MySQL database. It worked well when I was only bringing in 10 items in the feed at a time, but when I opened it up to a larger set of items it freaks out. I think it has to do with the data not being very "clean". Meaning the data has a lot of single and double quotes and what not. As you'll see in my code I've tried to fix this by using mysql_real_escape_string(), but it still get's hung up for some reason. Here's a look at my code:
Code: <?php include('rss_fetch.inc');
define('MAGPIE_FETCH_TIME_OUT', 200);

function safe($value){
return mysql_real_escape_string($value);
}

// Set error reporting for this
ini_set('display_errors',1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

// Fetch RSS feed

$rss = fetch_rss('feedurl');

if ($rss) {
// Split the array
$items = array_slice($rss->items,0);

// Cycle through each item and echo
foreach ($items as $item)
{
$con = mysql_connect("server","uname","pword");
if (!$con)
{
die('MySQL could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

mysql_select_db("rsstomysql", $con);

$sql="INSERT INTO `opportunities` (`opp_id`, `opp_title`, `opp_link`, `opp_desc`, `opp_provider`, `opp_startdate`, `opp_enddate`, `opp_location_name`, `opp_categories`, `opp_openended`, `opp_sponsororg`, `opp_starttime`, `opp_endtime`, `opp_contactemail`, `opp_contactphone`, `opp_contactname`)
VALUES('".$item['fp']['id']."', '".safe($item['title'])."', '".$item['link']."', '".safe($item['description'])."', '".$item['fp']['provider']."', '".$item['fp']['startdate']."', '".$item['fp']['enddate']."', '".$item['fp']['location_name']."', '".$item['fp']['categories']."', '".$item['fp']['openended']."', '".$item['fp']['sponsoringorganizationname']."', '".$item['fp']['starttime']."', '".$item['fp']['endtime']."', '".$item['fp']['contactemail']."', '".$item['fp']['contactphone']."', '".$item['fp']['contactname']."')
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `opp_title` = '".$item['title']."';";
if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
{
die('MySQL Error: ' .mysql_errno() .mysql_error());
}
echo "Records added";
mysql_close($con);
}
}
else
{
echo '<h2>Magpie Error:</h2><p>'.magpie_error().'</p>';
}
// Restore original error reporting value
@ini_restore('error_reporting');
?>This is the error I'm getting:
QuoteMySQL Error: 1064You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Stop Modern Day Slavery'' at line 3The 'Stop Modern Day Slavery" is in one of the title fields in the feed. I have used mysql_real_escape_string() on the title field, but it does not seem to have any effect. Does anyone have any ideas? I've also used addslashes() and it does the same thing...

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
72 Like 34 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

UTL File problem
Hi
I have a file in certain path with the following permissions (The file is a dummy file witho

Need a Timecode Class...
Not a Time Stamp, Time Code. Format is a bit different. HH:MM:SS:FF where FF is Frames. I dont re

How to insert random unique values in 2 columns ?
I have table with 2 columns

Create Table code_for_code (
first_code varchar2(10) uni

Form validation with functions
Hi there

I am trying to make a very simple form validation function. I currently have the fol

Help on Order Entry Form/System Where is best to begin.
I have a dilema and a very short amount of time at this point and I'm looking for some help on decid

EXplanation help
Hey all,

I am still fairly new to PHP programming and I am trying to put together a page wher

couldn't connect to your database
Hello I am new to php mysql

Actually i have read A tutorial on nettuts
"http://net.tu

Upload simple problem
Really confused!! I run once and it worked, but when i tried today...it didn't work

Which par

Random date selection
i want to select random date with time(hour+minutes+sec) where date is specified(10/22/2009) and tim

Forgot password won't work
My forgot password thing is not working properly. It is giving me this errorMailbox unavailable. The

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash