Procedural to OOP


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

ohn Kleijn said that to avoid writing "crappy code", we should learn OOP and common OO principles. I've started reading OOP tutorials including the design patterns. And John is right, this is not an easy task. It's a shame because I'm finding it hard to absorb the tutorials.

Is it ok if I'll show you some of my procedural codes and you'll show me how to code some of its parts in OOP? I learn faster by playing with relevant codes. I hope it's ok with you guys.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

Basically, all my php files look like this:
Code: [Select]ini_set('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

include("fxns.php");
define('TITLE', 'Page Title');
session_start();

if(isset($_SESSION['user_id'])) {
if (validate_user() == true) {
print_header(TITLE); // echos html codes
print_navs(); // echos html codes
//contents here
// calling more functions here
print_footer();
}
} else {
header('Location: login.php');
}

and my fxns.php would look like this:
Code: [Select]include("connect.php");

function validate_user() {
$sql = "SELECT uo.ip_address, uo.session_id, uo.user_agent, uo.activity
FROM users_online uo, users u
WHERE uo.user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]' AND uo.user_id=u.user_id";
$res = mysql_query($sql); $row = mysql_fetch_array($res);
$ip_address = $row[0];
$session_id = $row[1];
$user_agent = $row[2];
$activity = $row[3];

$res2 = mysql_query("SELECT config_value FROM config WHERE config_name='inactivity'");
$row2 = mysql_fetch_array($res2); $inactivity = $row2[0];

$res3 = mysql_query("SELECT locked, invalid_ip FROM users WHERE user_id='{$_SESSION[user_id]}'");
$row3 = mysql_fetch_array($res3); $locked = $row3[0]; $invalid_ip = $row3[1];

// verify user's IP address
if($ip_address != $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) {
show_invalid_ip($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the the session id and user's session id are the same
elseif ($session_id != session_id()) {
show_invalid_sid(); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the browser software is the same
elseif($user_agent != $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']) {
show_invalid_user_agent(); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the user is locked
elseif ($locked == 1) {
show_locked($invalid_ip); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the user has been inactive for $inactivity mins
elseif( time() > ( $activity + ($inactivity * 60) ) ) {
show_s_expired($inactivity); // echo some HTML
} else {
update_user();
return true;
}
}

function update_user() {
$maxtime = time() - 1800;
mysql_query("UPDATE users_online SET refurl='{$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']}' WHERE user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]'");
mysql_query("UPDATE users_online SET activity='".time()."' WHERE user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]'");
mysql_query("DELETE FROM users_online WHERE activity < '$maxtime'");
}


Would you be kind to write some of its part in OOP? Thanks so much..
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
123 Like 36 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Operator precedence assistance.
I did a quick Google search and couldn't quite find the answer I wanted in terms I could understand,

Referential Integrity problem when inserting into 2 tables at same time
Hello Everyone,

Im relativity new to PHP and MySQL and i have come up against a problem. i h

Problem in back link
I have page where i have given javascript back link but when i click on it browser give a message

I didnt code this but I need help with it
I'm sorry. i'm not a coder. I have this script for forcing download and previewing mp3. The guy that

Help Import Animoto and Youtube
CAn someone help me urgently want to allow users on my website to import youtube/revver/dailymotion

Making multiple rows with one query
I have a table called efed_handler_characters with two fields handler_id and bio_id. What query 2 is

Are sessions secure at all?..
I haven't really gotten into yet, but I was just thinking of something weird..

Lets say you h

Random Number Generation And Probability
Hello, I am working on a function which has to insert data into a SQL table.

we have to suppl

mysq_num_rows
Hi,

I want to use:

Code: if(mysql_num_rows($ergebnis2)==2)
how can the value 2, be

Transform value 0 in no and 1 in yes help needed
Hello,
I have this in the table: "value" type int 0 to represent false and 1 to represe

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash