Procedural to OOP


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

John Kleijn said that to avoid writing "crappy code", we should learn OOP and common OO principles. I've started reading OOP tutorials including the design patterns. And John is right, this is not an easy task. It's a shame because I'm finding it hard to absorb the tutorials.

Is it ok if I'll show you some of my procedural codes and you'll show me how to code some of its parts in OOP? I learn faster by playing with relevant codes. I hope it's ok with you guys.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

Basically, all my php files look like this:
Code: ini_set('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

include("fxns.php");
define('TITLE', 'Page Title');
session_start();

if(isset($_SESSION['user_id'])) {
if (validate_user() == true) {
print_header(TITLE); // echos html codes
print_navs(); // echos html codes
//contents here
// calling more functions here
print_footer();
}
} else {
header('Location: login.php');
}

and my fxns.php would look like this:
Code: include("connect.php");

function validate_user() {
$sql = "SELECT uo.ip_address, uo.session_id, uo.user_agent, uo.activity
FROM users_online uo, users u
WHERE uo.user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]' AND uo.user_id=u.user_id";
$res = mysql_query($sql); $row = mysql_fetch_array($res);
$ip_address = $row[0];
$session_id = $row[1];
$user_agent = $row[2];
$activity = $row[3];

$res2 = mysql_query("SELECT config_value FROM config WHERE config_name='inactivity'");
$row2 = mysql_fetch_array($res2); $inactivity = $row2[0];

$res3 = mysql_query("SELECT locked, invalid_ip FROM users WHERE user_id='{$_SESSION[user_id]}'");
$row3 = mysql_fetch_array($res3); $locked = $row3[0]; $invalid_ip = $row3[1];

// verify user's IP address
if($ip_address != $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) {
show_invalid_ip($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the the session id and user's session id are the same
elseif ($session_id != session_id()) {
show_invalid_sid(); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the browser software is the same
elseif($user_agent != $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']) {
show_invalid_user_agent(); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the user is locked
elseif ($locked == 1) {
show_locked($invalid_ip); // echo some HTML
}
// verify if the user has been inactive for $inactivity mins
elseif( time() > ( $activity + ($inactivity * 60) ) ) {
show_s_expired($inactivity); // echo some HTML
} else {
update_user();
return true;
}
}

function update_user() {
$maxtime = time() - 1800;
mysql_query("UPDATE users_online SET refurl='{$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']}' WHERE user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]'");
mysql_query("UPDATE users_online SET activity='".time()."' WHERE user_id='$_SESSION[user_id]'");
mysql_query("DELETE FROM users_online WHERE activity < '$maxtime'");
}


Would you be kind to write some of its part in OOP? Thanks so much.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
285 Like 42 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

PHP webpage & array print issue
I have this code running, and it works perfectly … however, see my bottom bit about what I see

Can I use a loop
Hi buddies!

Once again with my doubts here.

Right now I am using this sql stat

$variable $variables type question
I need to be able to designate an array element dynamically, so I thought to use a variable variable

Sending a hyperlink through mail
HI all,
I am sending a mail to outlook mailbox of a user using FM SO_NEW_DOCUMENT_ATT_S

cookie problem
I hv a website url
In this site main menu functionality based on cookie when user click on parti

Function module "DPS_CHECK_TABLE_EXISTS" not found (after OSS 1422843 impl)
Dear All,

I implemented Note OSS 1422843.

When i execute the new report RSPO20

What makes a script your own?
If someone finds a login script online, and changes some variable names around and some other minor

am I using this for loop correctly
Dear buddies!

Right now I am generating a report with some details for all the dealers.

Scheduler problems related to execution of a single BLT by many schedules
Hello all,

We are running several MII instances in a distibuted architecture using a sing

Slow data retrieval which requires improvement..please help
I am working on a Help Desk Ticketing system and have a page called MY TICKETS which shows all ticke

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash