Sending an SMS Message with ASP.NET


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Often times it may be a requirement for your web application to send an SMS message. Such examples would be reminders, password resetting, and spam.Q: Can I have some code to send an SMS message?A: Unfortunately it isn't as simple as just copying and pasting some code into your application and you can start blasting out text messages. SMS is a service, and cellular carriers will charge for it. The cost varies by carrier. SMS is a standard defined set of protocols that is authenticated to. When you contact a cellular company they will provide you with a username, password, gateway (sometimes called an Endpoint), and various other protocol related configurations.There are several existing .NET SMS SDKs out there - some are free and open source - but that doesn't change the fact that ultimately, those SDKs need endpoints configuration and you are back to the problem of needing a provider.Q: OK - How do I get in touch with a company to send an SMS?A: Most often than not it isn't feasible to contact a cellular company themselves. If you were to contact say, Verizon, you would only be able to send an SMS to Verizon phones. So you would have to partner with individual carriers - then there is the pain of figuring out which number belongs to which carrier. The easiest solution is to go to a 3rd party company that handles all of the messy work for you. This gives you an advantage of sending them in a simple manner and also not needing to know or understand how the SMPP protocol (or whatever protocol they are using - there are many) works as they will almost always provide an SDK or Web Service of their own.Q: What 3rd party Gateway Provider should I use?A: It varies by country, but a popular one that is somewhat regional is Clickatell. (Disclaimer - I do not work for them nor have I used their services - I found them via Google). They also provide their own SDK with sample code. Here is a list of other ones: http://www.developershome.com/sms/smsGatewayProvComp.asp
Q: I want a vanity or custom shortcode, like 134569 instead of a phone number.A: That depends on the gateway provider. Clickatell allows you to rent one.Q: We are going to be using A LOT of SMS messages - what if I want my own gateway?A: If you want to setup your own gateway, then you will need some physical hardware are well as software. Kannel is a popular open source SMS Gateway that runs on Unix like operating systems. You will still need to contact an SMS Center and this does not mean you can start sending out SMS messages for free.
Good luck with your application.
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
337 Like 27 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

retrieving images from mysql database using php
So I've been trying to figure out how to store images in a mysql database, and as far as i can tell

Pls help with PHP
Pls can anyone direct me on how to create a user account for a customer. For example i want know if

user administration
Dear @all,

what I have to do to set the user defaults for new users. At the moment I woul

couldn't connect to your database
Hello I am new to php mysql

Actually i have read A tutorial on nettuts
"http://net.tu

Big O & time complexity ???
can you help me how to calculate the Big O & time complexity for any algorithm and c++ program pleas

cPanel API
Hi Guys,

Need a little guidance. I'm trying to get my script to communicate with cPanel (or W

Not adding to db
Hi, I can't figure out why it won't add the record to the database. It's just a simple form to get

Login Functionality Working Different on IE
This is an odd one, I have a site which has an admin section. The admin pages unsurprisingly require

Help with php code
Hello, can anyone tell me why this php word trap fails to work,
and the trigger words get blow r

Xml parsing
I need a suggestion about parsing xml with multiply parts like pervious...
i.e. different device

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash